The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) limits the disclosure of information from student “education records”, requires University officials to protect education records, and permits students to inspect their education records. Education records include virtually all records maintained by an educational institution, in any format, that identify a student on its face or from which a student’s identity could be deduced from descriptive or other information contained in the record, either alone or in combination with other publicly available information.

A detailed review of FERPA legislation can be found at the U.S. Department of Education website.

Information for Students

Students are encouraged to read this brief summary of their rights under FERPA, which include:

  • the right to inspect and review your educational records
  • the right to request an amendment to your educational record
  • the right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from your education records
  • the right to file a complaint concerning alleged failures to comply with the requirements of FERPA

What is an Education Record?

Just about any information provided by the student to the university for use in the educational process is considered a student education record.  Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • personal information
  • enrollment records
  • grades and other academic assessments
  • schedules


Note: health records (e.g., immunizations, drug test results, health insurance, requests for accommodations, etc.) are considered part of an education record but are secured and managed by the Office of Student Services at NEOMED.  Treatment records (e.g., unshared medical and/or psychological treatment and counseling records), are not considered education records, and are maintained by the office providing such treatment.

What is Directory Information?

FERPA allows for the release of “Directory Information” to external constituencies and third-party individuals without the prior consent of the student. NEOMED has designated the following categories as “Directory Information” and may disclose it to others at our discretion:

Category I

Name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, photograph, dates of attendance, class, enrollment status and electronic personal identifier (ex., user name).

Category II

Previous institution(s) attended, major field of study, awards, honors and degree(s)/diploma(s) conferred (including dates), and residency match results (COM student only).

Category iII

Past and present participation in officially recognized activities, date and place of birth, and hometown.

Category IV

Names of parent(s), spouse and children.

Note:  As a general operating practice, NEOMED does not release lists of student directory information to external constituents (or “third-parties”) unless it is perceived as a potential benefit to the student (e.g., national and/or state AAMC associations) or requested under the Ohio “Public Records” law. Students can choose to restrict access of their Directory Information without written consent if desired. 

How can I restrict my directory information?

If you wish to disallow disclosure of any category grouping(s) of public or directory information then you should complete and submit the “Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information* form to the Office of the Registrar by September 30 of each year. If you elect to restrict your directory information, that information will not be released to anyone other than university officials who have a legitimate educational interest, and any other individuals or agencies designated under the exception rule of the law, unless you give explicit written consent for release.

Who should I go to if I want to see my student education file or secure a copy of a document from my file?

The Office of the Registrar functions as the official custodian of student academic records.  The Office of Student Services is the custodian of student health records (e.g., immunization, drug tests, etc.).  Requests for copies of education records/documents are typically responded to within 3-5 days of receipt, and can often be completed the same day.  A signed release is necessary, and we currently offer this service free of charge.  If you wish to view the entirety of your physical academic record, please schedule an appointment with a registrar team member since that process requires proctoring.

Additionally, NEOMED’s Banner Self-Service allows you to view commonly requested student data in a secure, web-enabled platform, to include mid-term and final grades, course summaries, clinical evaluations, USMLE, CSA and class standing results, academic records holds and other miscellaneous data.  Self-Service also gives you the capability to view your unofficial transcript and request a printed official transcript.  When you log into Banner Self-Service, navigate to the Student Records sub-folder and explore your options there.

How can i grant the university permission to release information about MY student records to my parents ?

In compliance with the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the University is prohibited from providing certain information from your student records to third parties, such as information on grades, academic issues, billing, tuition and fees assessment, financial aid, and other student record information. This restriction applies, but is not limited, to your parents, spouse, or a sponsor.

You may, at your discretion, grant the University permission to release information about your student records to your parent by completing an Authorization to Disclose Education Records to a Parent. The specified information will be made available only if requested by your parent – the University does not automatically send information to your parent(s). You must complete a separate form for each parent.

What should I do if I believe something in my education record is inaccurate?

If you have a concern regarding the accuracy of your education record, you should submit a Request to Amend or Remove Education Records form* to the registrar and make an appointment to review the record together in an attempt to resolve the questions/concerns raised.  This process excludes challenging a final grade as that falls under a different process.  If the student is dissatisfied with the results of that meeting, they have the right to request a hearing by submitting a Request for Formal hearing to Amend or Remove Education Records form* to the University Registrar who will coordinate the review process and provide a final decision.  More detailed information about this process is provided in the Compass.

What should I do if I have a concern about a potential FERPA violation?

Students concerned about a potential FERPA violation should alert the University Registrar who will confidentially explore the issue, determine legitimacy, assist with resolution and involve University Counsel as appropriate. Students may also file a complaint directly with the U.S. Department of Education’s Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO) regarding an alleged violation of a school’s failure to comply with his or her rights under FERPA.


Phone: 330.325.6478

University Registrar

Division of Academic Affairs