NEOMED uses a combination of mass registration and student self-service registration.
Generally speaking, mass registration for standardized course work happens twice per year, once in June and once in December (M1, M2, P1, P2, P3), and does not require student action. Students entering curriculum years with electives (P2, P3) or that are primarily clinical in content (M3, P4, M4), engage in scheduling processes that permit them to submit preferences, rather than a simple first-come/first-served assignment process. For the College of Graduate Studies, self-service registration periods are run three times per year (once for each semester: Summer, Fall, and Spring/Maymester), to include add/drop periods.
College of Medicine
Medical students in the first and second years take standardized coursework; therefore, students do not need to register for courses as this is done administratively in mass. Note that some courses may utilize small groups or lab groups, and students may be granted the opportunity to select preferences – please refer to the materials distributed to you at that time.
Medical students entering the clerkship year (M3) go through a lottery process that allows them to identify their preferred sites for each of the six core clerkships, thus assignments are done to maximize the assignments for each student. This process typically takes place in spring of M2; students will receive detailed information via email and class meetings 1-2 months in advance of this taking place.
Medical students entering the final year participate in an electronic scheduling process to submit initial schedules for their M4 electives, with the opportunity to make adjustments with approval. This process typically takes place in late Spring of M3; students will receive detailed information via email and M4 Orientation sessions several months in advance of the scheduling process taking place. Detailed instructions are available via the “M4 Elective Guide” provided to students.
College of Pharmcy
Pharmacy students in the first three years largely take standardized coursework; therefore, students do not need to register for courses as this is done administratively in mass. Note that some courses may utilize small groups or lab groups, and students may be granted the opportunity to select preferences – please refer to the materials distributed to you at that time.
Pharmacy students take electives in Fall of P2, and both Fall and Spring of P3. Students are able to express preference among the offered electives, and receive assignments that maximize the number of students receiving highly-ranked electives. Students will receive detailed information via email and class meetings in advance of the elective selection process (typically late fall for upcoming Spring electives, and late spring for the following fall.)
Pharmacy students entering the final year work with the College of Pharmacy to submit preferences for locations for each of their Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences, totaling 10 months. Information about this process is distributed in spring of P3.
College of Graduate Studies
Students are responsible for registering themselves for all relevant coursework via the online registration system in Banner Self-Service, with the exception of students taking cross-registered courses at a partner university or a practicum/independent study. These students should complete the necessary form below (after which they will be administratively registered).
Registration periods typically open about two months before the semester begins, with established add/drop periods that allow students to experience courses before making a final decision. Specific dates and deadlines for each semester are published on this website and distributed via email. Students are encouraged to register no later than two weeks before the start of the semester to ensure accurate and complete billing.
- If you are uncertain which course(s) you should register for, please discuss with your adviser or program director. For courses with variable credit hours (for example: Research), enter/choose the credit hours that accurately reflect the expected work load for this semester, on consultation with your adviser.
- If you have difficulty logging in to Banner Self-Service, please contact the NEOMED Helpdesk at 330.325.6911 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions regarding the online registration process via Banner Self-Service, please contact The Office of the Registrar at 330.325.6478 or via email at email@example.com.
- Log in to Banner Self-Service
- Select the “Student Information Menu”, then “Registration Menu”
- Click “Add/Drop Classes”. If prompted, choose the term
- If you have the CRN for the classes, you may enter those into the boxes at the bottom. (The CRNs/Course Reference Numbers are available in the course offering bulletin). Otherwise, use the “Class Search” to locate courses you’re interested in.
- When you’re finished, click “Submit”
- You can make any changes you wish during the registration period. You must be registered for classes by the end of the registration period. Students with fewer than 9 credit hours will not be considered full-time, which may impact your financial aid status.