Summa Health is the sponsoring institution for the shared Psychiatry Residency Program; other participants include Cleveland Clinic Akron General and the community mental health system of Summit County. Training activities also take place at Akron Children’s Hospital and agencies of the County of Summit Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board, including Community Support Services, Portage Path Psychiatric Emergency Services, Psycho-Diagnostic Clinic and the Portage County Jail.
- Emphasis on psychotherapy with competency in pharmacotherapy
- Full spectrum of mental health issues treated, including severe mental illness and substance abuse
- Teaching faculty are consistently available and committed to teaching
- Invaluable ancillary staff (program coordinator, triage nurses, support staff, and more)
- Diverse clinical training which includes inpatient, outpatient and community settings
- Reasonable work expectation, encouraging life balance
- Structured and protected weekly didactic time
- Bimonthly psychiatry grand round lectures covering pertinent topics
- Resident feedback is encouraged and heard
- Medical Center provides great benefit package including free meals and parking, competitive salary and health insurance options.
- Medical Centers located conveniently between Columbus and Cleveland.
The Psychiatry Residency Training application requirements consist of:
- Medical School Academic Transcript
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (Dean’s Letter)
- Passing USMLE Step I & Step 2 (within the first two attempts)
- Valid ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one letter from a psychiatrist that you’ve worked with)
- Personal statement
- Current photograph