How do I contact the Comparative Medicine Unit (CMU)?

On-campus: ext. 6555

Off-campus: 330.325.6555

What are the CMU office hours?

Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Who do I contact in case of a veterinary emergency?

If a veterinary emergency occurs between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Monday through Friday), please contact the CMU office at ext. 6555 or at 330.325.6555. If an emergency occurs after 5 p.m. or on weekends/holidays, please see the bulletin boards located within the CMU for the phone number of the on-call veterinarian.

How do I place an animal order?

All animal orders are placed by the CMU. Investigators and/or members of their research team will complete an Animal Order Request Form*. The order form must include all of the requested information and be to an approved animal vendor. Special instructions or comments regarding the animal order are to be placed in the “Additional Remarks” section of the form. Animal orders cannot be placed without an approved protocol on file. The CMU will place the animal order and prepare the animal identification cards and housing questionnaire. If you have special caging/housing, food, water, lighting, temperature, and/or room requirements, please contact Linda McCort, CMU Manager, at either ext. 6557 or at 330.325.6557 or the CMU Office at ext. 6555 or at 330.325.6555 before you place the animal order. Every effort will be made to accommodate your needs. A copy of the processed Animal Order Request Form is available upon request.

Does the CMU have a list of current animal vendors?

Yes. The current CMU-approved vendor list is available in the Animal Ordering section of the CMU website. You may contact Linda McCort, CMU Manager, by phone at either ext. 6557 or at 330.325.6557 or the CMU Office by phone at either ext. 6555 or at 330.325.6555 for a copy of this list, as well as for current animal prices, box charges, shipping prices and vendor delivery days.

How do I know when my animal order has arrived?

CMU personnel will uncrate your animal order, check for injury or signs of disease, etc. and place the animals in appropriate caging. Once the animals are caged, fed, watered, and the necessary paperwork completed, a representative of the CMU will contact you with the number of animals received and the housing room number.

Where do I place dirty cages and related animal equipment?

Dirty cages and related animal equipment should be taken to the Soiled Work Room, V-174, and placed on a specified shelving rack. CMU personnel will handle the rest.

Where do I get clean cages and related animal equipment?

Clean cages and related animal equipment may be found in the Clean Work Room, V-173. If large quantities are needed, please contact Linda McCort, CMU Manager, by phone at either ext. 6557 or at 330.325.6557 or the CMU Office at either ext. 6555 or at 330.325.6555 to make prior arrangements. The CMU personnel perform weekly cage changing and need to have access to this equipment.

What should I do if a water bottle gets broken?

There are cleaning implements located in all animal rooms. The broken glass can be swept up and taken to the Dirty Room, V-174, and placed in a specially labeled BROKEN GLASS container. Spilled water should be mopped up so as not to cause a fall. There are cleaning implements and paper towels in each animal room.

Where should animal carcasses be placed?

Bagged animal carcasses should be placed in one of the freezers located in the Necropsy Room, V-129. CMU personnel are responsible for incinerating all animal carcasses.

If I can’t find where my animals are housed, can I go room-to-room looking for them?

The best way to locate your animals is to first stop at the CMU Office and ask for the housing room number. In order to assist the CMU in preventing cross-contamination, you should only enter those rooms where your animals are housed. Animal housing rooms are currently arranged by investigator and/or department.

How do I gain access to the animal care facility?

Please visit the Facility Access webpage for information.

How do I record animal use?

Each animal room has a monthly inventory (per diem) sheet for each investigator housing animals in a particular room. The inventory sheet hangs on a clipboard outside of the room. The investigator’s name is located at the bottom of each sheet for easy identification and access. The number of animals permanently removed from the room should be recorded in the OUT column. When animals are added (e.g., new arrivals, weanlings, etc.), those animals should be recorded in the IN column. Do not total the BALANCE column. If you have any questions regarding the inventory sheet, please contact the CMU office.

Where do I place infectious waste?

Infectious waste (i.e., animal carcasses, bedding, etc.) should be bagged and placed in the large stainless steel walk-in freezer located in the Necropsy Room, V-129. There are two (2) labeled barrels located inside the walk-in freezer. Place the bag(s) inside one of the labeled barrels. Please cover the barrel before closing the freezer. The CMU Office should be notified immediately at ext. 6555 in case of an infectious waste spill (i.e., bag breaks, etc.).


Lauren Brierley, D.V.M.
Director, Comparative Medicine Unit
Phone: 330-325-6558

Comparative Medicine Unit (CMU)

Research at NEOMED