Our BeST Practices
Family Education & Support
Research shows that family education and support lead to:
- reduced relapse rates;
- lower re-hospitalization rates;
- better relationships, and
- improved well-being for individuals with schizophrenia and their family members/significant others.
The BeST Center defines “families” as individuals who are important to someone with a mental illness — they could be blood relatives, significant others, friends or other support persons, and works with partner organizations to offer families illness education, skill-building and support with clinicians specifically trained in the practice.
Loved Ones Involved in a Network of Care (LINC)
The BeST Center is offering a pilot Loved Ones Involved in a Network of Care (LINC) program in partnership with two Cleveland Clinic Lutheran Hospital inpatient psychiatry units and Greater Cleveland area community mental health agencies.
LINC provides patients and families with practical, immediate help and support when they need it most: during crisis/hospitalization and during the critical transition between inpatient and outpatient treatment.
Clinicians guide patients and families through a LINC manual focusing on mental illness education and communication and problem-solving skills. Hospital staff conduct initial sessions with interested patients and families to introduce them to LINC. Follow-up appointments will be scheduled with community-based LINC consultants, allowing patients and families to work through the LINC manual in outpatient settings.
FIRST Family Psychoeducation
The FIRST Coordinated Specialty Care for First Episode Psychosis program believes that support from family members and friends is vital to recovery. Family Psychoeducation and support are available to family members and friends of individuals enrolled in FIRST programs. Family members determine how often and how many times they participate in Family Psychoeducation sessions.
Family-based Treatment Locations
- Building on Family Strengths: Support, Education and Advocacy, Murtis Taylor Human Services System
- Loved Ones Involved in a Network of Care, Lutheran Hospital, a Cleveland Clinic hospital
- The Centers for Families & Children
- Connections: Health•Wellness•Advocacy
- Murtis Taylor Human Services System
- Psychological and Behavioral Consultants
- Recovery Resources
- Signature Health
- Loved Ones Involved in a Network of Care, Signature Health