Our BeST Practices
Pharmacotherapy for Schizophrenia
The NEOMED Department of Psychiatry has convened a pharmacotherapy for schizophrenia workgroup to examine current practices in Ohio and nationally. There is compelling data indicating that pharmacotherapy practice does not always conform with existing evidence-based guidelines.
The NEOMED workgroup is focusing on appropriate treatment for first-episode and multi-episode schizophrenia for both those who have an adequate response to treatment and for those who fail to respond adequately to treatment.
Strategies focus on:
- finding minimal effective doses;
- decisions to discontinue antipsychotic medication;
- the use of long-acting injectable antipsychotics;
- the use of clozapine; and
- decreasing the use of polypharmacy.
The BeST Center offers SZconsult Project ECHO, a telecommunity for medical professionals who are solving problems together and changing lives for people affected by schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Through SZconsult, the BeST Center offers medical professionals:
- Opportunities to present complex cases and to receive written recommendations from multidisciplinary experts
- Opportunities to develop the knowledge and skills to manage complex health conditions in their own communities and to be part of a community of practice
- Brief lectures and case-based learning on topics of special interest
- Free, convenient continuing professional education
SZconsult meets via Zoom technology
Tuesdays from Noon to 1 p.m.
To learn more email SZconsult@neomed.edu
View brief lectures