Pharmacotherapy for Schizophrenia
The NEOMED BeST Center is focusing on appropriate treatment for first-episode and multi-episode schizophrenia for both those who have an adequate response to treatment and for those who fail to respond adequately to treatment.
Strategies focus on:
- finding minimal effective doses;
- decisions to discontinue antipsychotic medication;
- the use of long-acting injectable antipsychotics;
- the use of clozapine; and
- decreasing the use of polypharmacy.
CLOZAPINE ASSISTANCE SERVICE
The Clozapine Assistance Service offers training, a consultation line, frequently asked questions and resources about the use of clozapine.
15-Minute Pharmacology is a series of YouTube videos created by BeST Center Medical Director Erik Messamore, M.D., Ph.D., addressing topics ranging from dopamine psychosis, inflammatory psychosis, marijuana and psychosis or schizophrenia, variable patterns of medication response within the schizophrenias, reducing the culture of pessimism in schizophrenia care and others.
SZCONSULT PROJECT ECHO
The BeST Center offers SZconsult Project ECHO, a telecommunity for medical professionals who are solving problems together and changing lives for people affected by schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Through SZconsult, the BeST Center offers medical professionals:
- Opportunities to present complex cases and to receive written recommendations from multidisciplinary experts
- Opportunities to develop the knowledge and skills to manage complex health conditions in their own communities and to be part of a community of practice
- Brief lectures and case-based learning on topics of special interest
- Free, convenient continuing professional education
SZconsult meets via Zoom technology
View brief lectures
“I’m so grateful for the opportunity to participate in this wonderful learning community. It has broadened and deepened my practice and expanded my knowledge base. Being able to not only view the informative lectures, but to have access to the expert team at NEOMED, as well as discuss real cases with colleagues from around the country is absolutely invaluable. Our program’s participants have 100% benefited from this service!”
– Christine Hanna-Ronald, MSN, PMHNP-BC, Clinical Director, DE CORE