Our BeST Practices
Pharmacotherapy for Schizophrenia
The NEOMED Department of Psychiatry has convened a pharmacotherapy for schizophrenia workgroup to examine current practices in Ohio and nationally. There is compelling data indicating that pharmacotherapy practice does not always conform with existing evidence-based guidelines.
The NEOMED workgroup is focusing on appropriate treatment for first-episode and multi-episode schizophrenia for both those who have an adequate response to treatment and for those who fail to respond adequately to treatment.
Strategies focus on:
- finding minimal effective doses;
- decisions to discontinue antipsychotic medication;
- the use of long-acting injectable antipsychotics;
- the use of clozapine; and
- decreasing the use of polypharmacy.