Structured Clinical Experiences
The following are ideas for clinical placements for students to witness the caregiving experience:
- In-home hospice visits with patients and their family caregivers
- Visits to a hospice facility
- Accompanying an Area Agency on Aging case manager to a consumer’s home
- Visits to a long-term care facility
General Discussion Questions
- What caregiving experiences have you had or witnessed?
- What personal attributes of patients transcended their illness? And what role did caregiving play in this process?
- How do you see the role of caregiving dovetailing with the practice of medicine?
- What biases or concerns do you have regarding caregivers?
- What worries you most about working with caregivers?
- What worries you most about working with hospice patients?
- When your patient is referred to hospice how do you support the patient and his/her caregiver?
Building Caregiver Partnerships
This site contains a free compendium of educational tools and resources on issues of family caregiving for health professions faculty, providers and students.
Co-sponsored with Summa Health and funded by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations.