Surgery & Orthopedic Residency Guide
- Mr. Haskins’ surgical history includes the following: bilateral amputation above the knees, dialysis access port, feeding tube. He was hospitalized for one week with pneumonia and returned home with a sacral ulcer. You are asked to make a home visit to debride. What do you do? What conversations do you have with Mrs. Haskins who has up until this point, kept her husband from any skin breakdown?
- Mr. Lyle falls resulting in a right hip fracture. He is transported to the Emergency Department. How would you speak to the family? What kind of things would you discuss? Would you talk about rehab? What team members would you involve?
- Mrs. Musek is rolled over during personal care and her caregiver hears a cracking sound. Mrs. Musek is in pain and is transported to the Emergency Department. A tumor is found in her femur. What would you suggest to her family? What team members would you involve?
The discussion of caregiver issues is relevant to the following ACGME Milestones:
- Systems-Based Practice (SBP1) Coordination of Care;
- Professionalism (PROF1) Care for Diseases and Conditions;
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills (ICS1) Care for Diseases and Conditions
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills (ICS2) Coordination of Care
- Hip Fracture-Patient Care
- Hip Fracture – Medical Knowledge
- Metastatic Bone Lesion –Patient Care
- Metastatic Bone Lesion – Medical Knowledge
- Systems-Based Practice –Resident will work in interprofessional teams to enhance patient safety and quality care
- Professionalism – Compassion, integrity, and respect for others as well as sensitivity and responsiveness to diverse populations, including but not limited to diversity in gender, age, culture, race, religion, disabilities, and sexual orientation
- Communication –Interpersonal and Communication Skills
Building Caregiver Partnerships
This site contains a free compendium of educational tools and resources on issues of family caregiving for health professions faculty, providers and students.
Co-sponsored with Summa Health and funded by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations.