Doctor of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) Application
Who should apply?
Students from Ohio and all over the United States should consider applying as they near completion of our 60 specified hours of prerequisite undergraduate coursework, which must be completed before matriculation. Though students who already have a bachelor’s degree may apply, a bachelor’s degree is not required for admission.
Our typical applicants include:
- students pursuing employment in community (retail) pharmacy as licensed pharmacists
- students interested in pursuing residencies leading toward employment in hospitals and clinical pharmacy settings
- students who have worked as pharmacy technicians or in other health care settings
- students who have an interest in a professional health care career and are still exploring pharmacy may wish to apply to learn more about today’s career options for pharmacists
Many of our applicants are from outside of Ohio, forming a national candidate pool. NEOMED encourages applications from Ohio and beyond. We encourage applications from non-resident students, and we offer competitive non-resident tuition and fees lower than many other comparable options. Students must hold either U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Legal Permanent Resident status to successfully apply for the Doctor of Pharmacy program at NEOMED. NEOMED is not certified to enroll F-1 international students.
NEOMED welcomes students from community colleges, colleges, and universities in Ohio and across the United States.
New for 2022
NEOMED now offers a full 3+4 articulation program with Kent State University. Kent State students may pursue a B.S. in Chemistry with a Biochemistry Concentration for three years at Kent State. Using NEOMED’s early assurance admission plan, Kent State students may matriculate to NEOMED and have NEOMED PharmD courses fulfill Kent State course requirements to earn their Kent State bachelor’s degree while earning their PharmD.
Questions about Kent State University Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration Northeastern Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) Doctor of Pharmacy Program can be directed to Enrollment Management Academic Partnerships: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Pharm.D. transfer candidates must first apply via PharmCAS for P1 admission consideration. Upon admission consideration for the Pharm.D. program by the college admission committee, transfer candidates’ curricular progress shall be evaluated by the admission committee chairperson for applicability for transfer into the NEOMED Pharm.D. program at an advanced class level. Should an opportunity present itself for candidate transfer into the P2, P3, or P4 years of study, NEOMED will consider such placement at the discretion of the admission committee and dean of the college. While prior coursework will not be evaluated for credit and transferred into NEOMED, proficiency of equivalence to NEOMED will be assumed should candidates transfer into the P2, P3, and P4 classes upon matriculation.
Students with international coursework are welcome at NEOMED. Students who are US Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents who may have completed international work should be sure to include a W.E.S. evaluation along with the other required PharmCAS materials at the time of application.
Application Eligibility Guidelines
NEOMED recommends that Doctor of Pharmacy applicants:
- Present an overall college GPA of at least 2.5 for interview consideration (as determined by PharmCAS calculations).
- Present a science GPA of at least 2.5 (as determined by PharmCAS calculations).
- Earn no grade lower than a C- in any course intended to fulfill a prerequisite requirement.
- Complete the required 60 semester hours of prerequisite coursework prior to matriculating. Candidates are encouraged to apply for admission early and interview while prerequisite coursework is in progress.
- Demonstrate interest in the pharmacy profession through extracurricular activities, employment, or volunteer experience.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and abilities.
- Completed Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS) application
- NEOMED does not require a supplemental application for our Pharmacy program
- NEOMED is a PCAT optional program. The PCAT is no longer required for admission consideration (effective 2017-2018).
For August 2024 Matriculation to NEOMED as a new Doctor of Pharmacy Student:
Note: We recommend that applicants complete and submit applications as soon as they are able to do so to allow sufficient time for review, interviewing, a campus visit, and a thorough prerequisite review.
- July 13, 2023: PharmCAS opens to accept applications for the 2023-2024 application cycle
- October 2, 2023: Suggested priority application date for applicants holding pharmacy early assurance to apply on time to guarantee a reserved seat for 2024 admission
- June 3, 2024: Last date to open a PharmCAS account to submit a 2023-2024 application. Last date to apply without receiving an extension code from NEOMED Admissions.
- After June 3, 2024: Check with NEOMED Admissions for any opportunities to apply through June and July on a pre-approved basis if you started an application in PharmCAS for 2024.