Promoting Innovation in medical technology
The Bench to Bedside program engages interdisciplinary teams of students in observing a problem as it would occur at the bedside of a patient and then promotes working together to develop a device solution that can ultimately bring positive change for the patient — and the future of health care.
Exciting and vibrant 7-month program that brings students, medical professionals, industry experts, investors and others to meet the needs of patients through medical technology design.
Interdisciplinary teams of students studying in the fields of health, business, engineering and law
- Observe the clinical problem
- Identify a need
- Design a concept
- Evaluate the patent landscape
- Establish a regulatory pathway
- Create a prototype
- Develop a commercialization strategy
Introduction to the fascinating world of health technology innovation
- Interdisciplinary teams work together to solve unmet needs faced in medicine.
- Intensive experiential education through a hands-on real-world environment
- Includes support and advice from medical, industry and academic professionals
- Observe medical problems, identify needs and designs technologies as solutions to these problems
- At the end of the program, teams present their projects to a panel of judges for a chance to advance their work for further development
- Build understanding of the design thinking process
- Gain experience in accelerating new technologies from concept to commercialization
- Receive stipend for proof of concept prototyping
- Access to venture capitalists who might fund project