Career Resources for Students
Get Career Coaching
Gain personalized attention through career coaching to meet your career development needs. This includes exploring specialty or career options, preparing a CV, or applying for residency.
Develop Leadership Skills
Excel in your professional career through the development of your leadership skills. NEOMED offers students a wide variety of opportunities, including involvement in student government, curriculum committees and conduct council as well as opportunities for leadership roles in over 75 different student organizations. To get started:
- Attend a student organization event. For a listing of student events and activities, please visit the Student Activities Calendar
- Join a student organization or start a new student organization. Click here for a complete listing of Student Organizations. Contact Harmony Stanger, Assistant Director of Student Services at 330.325.6719 or email@example.com for information on creating a new student organization.
Develop Your Professional Network
Explore career options and learn how to optimize networking as a primary key to success in securing a residency position. Your professional network may include faculty, alumni, former and current employers, friends, relatives, and neighbors. To start developing your professional network:
- Access a comprehensive listing of NEOMED alumni and faculty mentors (available on the AIMS Career Center project site)
- Attend a Specialty Speed Dating Dinner. The goal of these informal receptions is to provide first and second-year medical students with an opportunity to network with practicing physicians and begin to explore their career options after graduation.
- Attend the annual fall Business Etiquette Dinner. Led by an etiquette expert, this is an opportunity for current students to learn important business etiquette while interacting with NEOMED faculty and staff.
- Schedule an appointment with the Assistant Dean of Students to get personalized assistance in locating mentors in your field of interest.
For additional tips on developing your professional network and to find a comprehensive list of mentors log on to the AIMS Career Center Project site.
Get Research & Community Service Experience
Gain critical research skills or give back to your community while exploring career options, adding to your professional network, and even polishing writing and presentation skills. Learn about local, regional, national and global research fellowships, internships and externships, summer programs and community service opportunities by:
- Attending the annual AMWA Summer Opportunities Symposium
- Meeting with the Assistant Dean of Students to discuss individual goals for research and service
- Logging on to the AIMS Career Center project site for links to research and community service opportunities
Polish Your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Create a visually attractive, well thought-out CV that will allow you to showcase your unique credentials. To get started:
- Create and maintain your CV using Optimal Resume, a web-based tool that allows you to create multiple versions of your CV and get easy access to your documents anytime, anywhere. All current NEOMED students can register and create an account with Optimal Resume using a valid NEOMED.edu email address.
The Optimal Resume tutorial and additional resources for creating your resume or CV can be found on the AIMS Career Center project site.
Enhance Your Interview Skills
Polish your technique to ensure you complete your interview with confidence and poise.
- Schedule a mock interview with the Career Center staff in-person, on the phone, or via Skype and receive feedback and tips for improving your performance. Contact our office to schedule your mock
In addition to the resources listed above, current students are encouraged to explore the vast array of career and leadership resources available on the Career Center AIMS project site.