Policy Number: 3349-07-100
Effective Date: 09/10/2010
Responsible Department: Human Resources
- To establish a policy to ensure that the hiring and supervision of employees is conducted in a manner that enhances public confidence and avoids situations that give the appearance of partiality, preferential treatment, improper influence, or conflict of interest; and to promote the recruitment of a diverse and qualified workforce.
- This Policy applies to all University employees, including but not limited to faculty, administrative staff, unclassified hourly employees, classified civil service employees, and student employees.
- Consult University Policy No. 3349‐7‐01.
- “Business Associates” refers to parties who are joined together in a relationship for business purposes or who act together to pursue a common business purpose or enterprise.
- “Family Member” is defined to include, but is not limited to spouse (including individuals who are recognized as lawfully married under the law of any state), children (whether dependent or independent), parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, in‐laws, step‐children, step‐parents, step-grandparents, step‐siblings, step‐aunts, step‐uncles, and other persons related by blood, marriage, or adoption.
- [“Significant Relationship Partner”] refers to people living together as a spousal or family unit when not legally married or related where the nature of the relationship may impair the objectivity or independence of judgment of one individual working with another.
D. Policy Statement
- The criteria for appointment and promotion of all employees of the University are appropriate qualifications and performance. More than one family member, significant relationship partners or business associates may be employed at the University. However, a Family Member, [Significant Relationship Partner], or Business Associate may neither initiate nor participate in decisions which involve a direct benefit or detriment to the other; nor supervise, evaluate or direct the work of the other.