Other Mentoring Resources
Specialty Speed Dating Dinners
The goal of the Specialty Speed Dating Dinner is to encourage students to make important connections with practicing physicians early in their tenure as medical students by interacting with NEOMED alumni and clinical faculty in a “speed dating” format.
Women in White Coats Dinner
Co-sponsored by the NEOMED chapter of the American Medical Women’s Association, this event is an opportunity for female medical students to interact with female physicians in all areas of practice.
NEOMED Alumni Match List
This comprehensive list of all NEOMED graduates and their initial residency placement is updated annually. The list is located on the AIMS Career Center project site.
Physician Career Stories Video Library
This video library includes video recordings of NEOMED alumni and faculty sharing their personal narrative “career story” in answer to the following questions:
- What factors did you take into consideration when choosing your specialty?
- What is it about your specialty that you find most satisfying?
- How did you know this specialty was a good fit for you?
- What factors did you take into consideration when choosing your practice setting (please reflect back on prior and current work environments)?
- What is a typical work week, including office schedule, call, rounds, patient population?
- What criteria did you take into consideration when choosing your residency program? Please share advice on how to handle the residency application and/or interview process.
- What advice would you give to current medical students about making a career decision?
The link to the video library is located on the AIMS Career Center project site.
Specialty Interest Groups
A variety of Specialty Interest Groups are part of the NEOMED Student Organization network. Each of these Specialty Interest Groups have a faculty advisor who practices in that specialty and assists the group in planning speaker and physician panel events, workshops, and service activities related to their specialty. Following is a list of the current Specialty Interest Groups at NEOMED:
- Anesthesiology Interest Group
- Cardiology Interest Group
- Dermatology Interest Group
- Emergency Medicine Interest Group
- Ear, Nose, and Throat Interest Group
- Endocrinology Interest Group
- Family Medicine Interest Group
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology Interest Group
- Geriatric Interest Group
- Integrative Medicine Interest Group
- Internal Medicine Interest Group
- Neurosurgery Interest Group
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Interest Group
- Oncology Interest Group
- Ophthalmology Interest Group
- Orthopedic Surgery Interest Group
- Palliative Care Interest Group
- Pediatric Action Club
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Interest Group
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Interest Group
- Psychiatry Student Interest Group
- Pulmonology Interest Group
- Radiology Interest Group
- Student Interest Group for Neurology
- Surgery Interest Group
- Urology Interest Group
- Additional information about networking can be found on the AAMC Careers In Medicine (CiM) website under the Shape Your Career tab.
- Additional information about specialty exploration can be found in the Guide to Specialty Exploration in the AIMS Career Center project site.