Administrative Policy: Administrative
COGS Repeat Course
Policy Number: 3349-AC-355
Effective Date: 08/05/2014
Responsible Department: College of Graduate Studies,
Enrollment Services and Registrar
To establish the standards for repeating a course in the College of Graduate Studies.
The scope of this policy includes all students enrolled in any degree or certificate
programs in the College of Graduate Studies.
- “Required Course” refers to courses that are required for program completion.
“Elective Course” refers to courses that students select to fulfill elective credit
requirements for program completion.
D. Policy Statement
- Students receiving a grade of less than “C” in a required course must repeat the
course and receive at least a “C” in order to receive credit for the course. Grades
for both the original and repeated courses will appear on the transcript with
repeat courses being noted as such.
- Students receiving a grade of less than “C” in an elective course have the option
to re-take that course and receive at least a “C” in order to receive credit for the
course. The schedule of offerings for elective courses may not allow the student
to retake the same course, in this case students may take a different elective
course at the same credit value to satisfy program requirements.
- For courses that use “Pass/Fail” for grading, a course must be repeated if the
student receives a “Fail” grade.
- Both the original and repeated grades are utilized in the calculation of the grade
point average (GPA). Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher while enrolled
in the College of Graduate Studies. If a student falls below the 3.0 GPA threshold,
they will be referred to the Committee on Academic and Professional Progress