Applications for Employment
Policy Number: 3349-08-10
Effective Date: 09/10/2010
Responsible Department: Human Resources
Applies To: Unclassified Hourly Employees, Classified Civil Service Employees
- To establish a Policy for employment applications for unclassified hourly employees and classified civil service employees.
- This Policy applies to unclassified hourly employees and classified civil service employees at the University.
- “Applicant” refers to one who makes a request to be considered for a position at the University.
- “Application” refers to the completion of an online form that requests Applicant information and includes a requirement to submit a cover letter.
- “Director” means the Director of Human Resources at the University.
D. Body of the Policy
- Formal Application
- The Director shall require persons applying for an original appointment at the University to file a formal application, in which the Applicant shall state the Applicant’s name, address, and such other information as may reasonably be required concerning the Applicant’s education and experience. No inquiry shall be made as to religious beliefs or political affiliations. Information about an Applicant’s race or ethnicity may be supplied at the discretion of the Applicant. If it is so supplied it may be used for Affirmative Action purposes. Information on race and ethnic origin may also be requested to allow the University to comply with federal equal opportunity employment reporting regulations.
- Blank forms for Applications shall be available on the University’s Website. The Director may require references as appropriate. The Director may refuse to appoint an Applicant who is found to lack any of the established preliminary requirements for the position, who is addicted to the habitual use of intoxicating liquors or drugs to excess, who has a pattern of poor work habits and performance with previous employers, who has been convicted of a felony, who has been guilty of infamous or notoriously disgraceful conduct, who has been dismissed from the civil service for delinquency or misconduct, or who has made false statements of any material fact, or practiced, or attempted to practice, any deception or fraud in the Application, in establishing eligibility for employment, or securing an appointment.
- Character and Fitness of the Applicant
- Satisfactory information produced at any time to the Director, that an Applicant has committed acts which demonstrate character traits which would be detrimental to successful performance of the employment sought, or of the Applicant’s dismissal for good cause from any branch of public service, or of his or her conviction of a job related felony, or an established pattern of poor work habits and performance by the Applicant with previous employers, shall be sufficient to exclude the Applicant from consideration. All documentation submitted by Applicants shall be subject to investigation by the Director.
- False Statements
- Fraudulent conduct or false statements by the Applicant, or by others with his connivance, in any application shall be deemed cause for exclusion of said Applicant from any employment or for discharge once employed.