Jury/Civic Duty Leave
Policy Number: 3349-07-75
Effective Date: 07/01/2007
Responsible Department: Human Resources, Payroll, Accounting
Applies To: All University Employees
- To encourage employees to contribute to the community by fulfilling civic duties.
- This policy applies to all Institution employees, including but not limited to faculty, administrative staff, unclassified hourly employees, and classified civil service employees. This policy does not apply to student employees.
- Consult University Policy No. 3349‐7‐01.
- “Jury Duty” or “Civic Duty” is service that requires time spent away from the Institution as the result of a lawfully issued summons or subpoena.
- “Normal Working Hours” are hours specified by the Immediate Supervisor of an Employee regarding when the Employee will generally perform work for the Institution.
D. Policy Statement
- Except as otherwise provided by law, employees will be granted leave with full pay if they are:
- Summoned for jury duty by a court of competent jurisdiction;
- Subpoenaed or summoned to appear before any court, commission, board or other legally constituted body authorized by the law to compel the attendance of witnesses, where the Employee is not a party (Plaintiff or Defendant) to the action; or,
- Required to participate in any action, as an Appellant or Subpoenaed Witness, before the State Personal Board of Review and are in active pay status at the time of the scheduled hearing.
- An Employee who is appearing before a court or other legally constituted body in a matter in which the Employee is a Party may be granted vacation time or leave of absence without pay. Such instances would include, but are not be limited to, criminal or civil cases, traffic court, divorce or custody proceedings, or when they are appearing because they are directed to appear as a parent or guardian of a juvenile. Proof of appearance may be required.
- Any compensation or reimbursement for jury duty or for court attendance compelled by summons or subpoena, when such duty is performed during an Employee’s normal working hours, shall be remitted by the Employee to the Accounting Department. All employees must make the appropriate notations on their time record.
*Requires Acrobat Adobe Reader