Policy Number: 3349-03-140
Effective Date: 11/01/2012
Responsible Department: All Departments
Applies To: All University Employees, Students, Visitors
The purpose of this policy is to implement a campus wide tobacco‐free policy consistent with the provisions set forth in O.R.C. 3794 and the Ohio Board of Regents Resolution Promoting Tobacco Free Ohio Campuses, issued on July 23, 2012.
This policy applies to all individuals who are present on the NEOMED campus, including but not limited to employees, students and visitors who may be located inside or outside of any buildings, residences, or parking lots located on the NEOMED campus.
“Smoking” refers to means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or other lighted smoking device for burning tobacco or any other plant. “Smoking” does not include the burning of incense in religious ceremony.
To protect the health and safety of our faculty, staff, students and visitors, all property on the NEOMED campus is designed as a non‐smoking, tobacco‐free area. Smoking or the use of other tobacco products is prohibited anywhere in the NEOMED campus. The campus‐wide tobacco ban includes the inside and outside of all buildings, any parking areas, all vehicles on campus and any personal residence.Consistent with this policy, University groups or members of the public that schedule indoor or outdoor spaces for approved functions on the NEOMED campus are prohibited from allowing smoking or using tobacco at their function.
- Enforcement. People who violate the tobacco‐free environment established by this policy will be referred to the following reporting authorities for further action:
- Faculty will be reported to the Office of the Faculty Member’s Dean for handling in accordance with the University Faculty Code of Professional Conduct found in Appendix C of the Faculty Bylaws.
- Employees will be reported to Human Resources for handling in accordance with the Employee Handbook.
- The University may charge a requester for the actual costs associated with producing copies, including copying and mailing expenses
- Visitors and guests will be reported to University Security where they will be escorted off of campus property should they continue to use tobacco on the NEOMED campus in violation of this policy.
*Requires Acrobat Adobe Reader