Security and Access
Policy Number: 3349‐10‐71
Effective Date: 09/10/2010
Responsible Department: Public Safety
Applies To: Rootstown Campus
- To establish a Policy for security and access to the buildings on the Rootstown campus and establishing a safe and secure premises for its campus community.
- Rootstown Campus buildings are covered by this Policy.
- “Closed Circuit Television” or “CCTV” means the use of video cameras to transmit a signal to a specific place, on a limited number of monitors.
- “Exterior Doors” are those doorways that allow entrance to or exit from a building.
- “Key Card Access” means an electronic door access system that requires the swipe of an identification card to gain entry into a building.
- “Rootstown Campus” includes all of the real property, buildings and equipment owned by or for the benefit of the University in Rootstown Township, Portage County, Ohio.
- “Security” is the physical space reserved for contracted security officers and their respective functions. It is located in room A‐90.
- “Secured portion of campus” refers to buildings not accessible to the public. This portion of campus includes buildings A, B, C, D, E, F, G, L, M, P, R, V; The Village at NEOMED; and the third floor of the NEOMED Education and Wellness (NEW) Center which houses the Bio‐Med Science Academy.
- “Public portion of campus” refers to the NEOMED Education and Wellness (NEW) Center and its tenants.
D. Policy Statement
- The President of the University is directed to include specifically in his/her duties of general supervision the duty to regulate the use of grounds, buildings, equipment, and facilities of the University and the conduct of the students, staff, faculty, and visitors to the campus so that law and order are maintained and the University may pursue its educational objectives in an orderly manner pursuant to the policies and regulations passed by the board and the laws of the state of Ohio.
- Access to the secured portion of the Rootstown Campus is restricted at all times. All exterior doors in this area of campus are locked.
- The University maintains its existing campus by conducting routine assessments of the safety and security of the facilities and its grounds.
- Exterior Doors equipped with key‐card access and closed circuit television allow personnel and students to access the building at all times.
- All visitors to campus between the hours of 8:00 am –5:00 pm, Monday through Friday are required to sign in with the receptionist and obtain a guest identification badge.
- NEOMED police officers conduct routine checks of lighting on campus during regular patrols. If lights are out or dim, officers notify the Department of Campus Operations, who then takes immediate action to fix lighting issues. NEOMED community members are encouraged to report deficient lighting or other unsafe office situations to the Department of Campus Operations at 330‐325‐6193.
- Unsafe lab conditions should be reported to the Assistant Director, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety at 330‐325‐6494.
- Concerns related to fire prevention, law enforcement or security should be reported to the Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police at 330‐325‐6492.
- All new students and employees are provided with a public safety education session during their respective orientations to NEOMED. First year students are educated on crime reporting, date/acquaintance rape, campus access and security, crime statistics, and emergency notification. New employees are provided with a public safety presentation during their orientation program addressing similar topics. NEOMED’s Police Department offers “ALICE” training to all first year students and any interested students, faculty and staff at various points throughout the year. “ALICE” training prepares the campus community to react to a surprise attack by an armed intruder.