- Associate Professor of Integrative Medical Sciences
- Graduate Faculty III, College of Graduate Studies
Dr. Liya Yin is an Associate Professor in the Department of Integrative Medical Sciences at NEOMED.
She earned her M.D. and Ph.D. in Wuhan University, China. After she did her postdoctoral training with Dr. Shaun Coughlin at UCSF, Dr. Yin joined Dr. Stephen Young’s group as a research faculty at UCLA.
Dr. Yin joined NEOMED in 2009 as a Research Assistant Professor and she was promoted to Research Associate Professor in 2014, Associate Professor on tenure track in 2015 and tenured Associate Professor in 2018.
Dr. Yin’ s research interests are lipid metabolism, cardiovascular phenotype of diabetes, angiogenesis and arteriogenesis, regulation of coronary circulation, coronary collateral growth, cell reprogramming and stem cells in cardiovascular regeneration.
Her research has been funded by AHA and NIH.
Dr. Yin has published more than 56 peer-reviewed articles.
Dr. Yin serves as a member of AHA peer-review committee and an Ad hoc member of NIH study section.
Area of Expertise/Research Interests
- Lipid metabolism and atherosclerosis
- Angiogenesis, arteriogenesis and coronary collateral growth
- Microcirculation and cardiac blood flow regulation
- Cell reprogramming and stem cells in cardiovascular regeneration
- Microvascular dysfunction and diabetes
- Stem Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering. BMS 71095 for graduate students
- Molecules to Cells (Biological Chemistry) for medical students
- Physiology Based Medicine (PBM) for medical students
- DNA Cloning and Genetic Engineering. BMS 70251 for graduate students
- Clinical Epilogue and Capstone for medical students
Academic & Professional Activities
- Chair-APS-CV section Fellowship (FAPS-FCVS) Committee, 2021-2024
- Member-APS-CV section Steering Committee, 2021-2024
- Editorial Board Member: Circulation Research, International journal of Cardiology, Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology
- Associate Editor of Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Associate Editor of Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine
- NEOMED Outstanding Faculty Research Award-2020
- Fellow of American Heart Association (FAHA)-2017
- Fellow of American Physiological Society-Cardiovascular Section (FCVS)-2017