- Dean of the College of Graduate Studies
- Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Vice President for Research
Dr. Steven Schmidt is currently the Vice President of Research, Dean of Graduate Studies, and Professor of Pharmaceutical Science at NEOMED. He has been a member of NEOMED since 2015 and he has previously chaired the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences. For 32 years, he filled a variety of roles at Summa Health System including the Vice President of Clinical Research and Innovation. Throughout his career, he has published more than 80 papers in peer-reviewed professional journals and has been awarded five patents.
Area of Expertise/Research Interests
Dr. Schmidt’s personal research interests focused upon cardiovascular biology. In that context he has investigated how to create natural cellular linings on artificial blood vessels pioneering the early stages of “tissue engineering.”
- Ph.D., Biology / Physiology, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
- MA, Zoology, DePauw University, Greencastle, IN
- BA, Premedical Sciences, DePauw University, Greencastle, IN
- American Heart Association Distinguished Researcher Award, 2002
- Schmidt SP, Bowlin GL. Endothelial cell seeding: a review. Tissue Engineering of Vascular Prosthetic Grafts. 1999; Chapter 3: 61-68.
- Schmidt SP, Meerbaum SO, Donovan DL. Healing patterns following microvascular seeding – a clinical evaluation of microvascular-seeded A-V access grafts. Tissue Engineering of Vascular Prosthetic Grafts. 1999; Chapter 10: 127-130.
- Schmidt SP, Sharp WV, Evancho MM, Meerbaum SO. Endothelial cell seeding of prosthetic vascular grafts – current status. High Performance Biomaterials. Technomic (Lancaster, PA), 1991; 483-496.
- Schmidt SP, Sharp WV, Evancho MM, Pippert TR, Meerbaum SO, Monajjem N. Endothelial cell seeding with microvessel endothelial cells – animal and human studies. In: Bruno Reichart, Ed. Recent Advances in Cardiovascular Surgery – R.S. Schulz, Munich. 1989; 310-322.
- Schmidt SP, Hunter TJ, Hirko M, Belden TA, Evancho MM, Sharp WV, Donovan DL. Small-diameter vascular prostheses: Two designs of PTFE and endothelial cell seeded and nonseeded Dacron. J Vasc Surg. 1985; 2:292-297.