- Assistant Professor of Family and Community Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice
- Graduate Faculty Member, College of Graduate Studies
- College of Medicine Curriculum Mapper
Heather McEwen received her M.L.I.S., her M.S. in ecology, and her B.S. in zoology and pre-medicine from Kent State University. Her thesis research focused on the interactions of bacteria and macroinvertebrates in streams. She worked as a research assistant and senior research assistant at NEOUCOM from 1999 to 2006. She has performed research in the areas of microbiology, molecular and cell biology, skeletal biology, and entomology. She served as a reference librarian at NEOMED from June 2006 to July 2013. She is now the curriculum mapper for the College of Medicine. She is a member of the Master Teacher Guild and a graduate of the research track in the NEOMED Fellowship in Academic Medicine. She is a member of the Medical Library Association and administrates an international group of librarians who teach EBM. She is the course director of the Evidence Based Medicine I course and an assistant course director of the Evidence Based Medicine II course.
Area of Expertise/Research Interests
My academic interests include evidence based medicine, medical education and curriculum mapping, medical librarianship, interprofessional education, and drug information resources.
- M.L.I.S., Library and Information Science, Kent State University, 2006
- M.S., Ecology, Kent State University, 1998
- B.S., Zoology and Pre-Medicine, Kent State University, 1994
- Evidence Based Medicine I & II
- Prerequisite to the Clinical Curriculum
- Natural Products and Nutraceuticals
Academic & Professional Activities
- Member of the Medical Library Association
- Member of the Medical Library Association Libraries in Curriculum special interest group
- Member of the Medical Library Association Information Literacy in Medical Education special interest group
- Member of the Medical Library Association Interprofessional Education special interest group
- Administrator and member of the Librarians Teaching Evidence Based Medicine group
- 2007 Initiative Award – Division of Academic Affairs, Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy
- 2006 Community Service Award recipient – Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy
- McEwen, Heather, Johnson, Rienne. (2017). PubMed Training of Medicine and Pharmacy Students presentation as part of the Teaching Topics: Successes, Flops, and Far-Out ideas Webinar for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine. (August 10, 2017).
- Labuda Schrop, Susan, Weiss, Lisa, McEwen, Heather, Basaran, Cristina. 2014. Need a More Robust Curriculum Inventory? Consider Bloom. The Generalists in Medical Education Annual Conference. Chicago, IL (Nov 2014)
- McEwen, Heather A., Johnson, Rienne, Stockton, LuAnne, Layton, Beth, Spalding, Janice, Weiss, Lisa N., Sperling David. Evidence Based Medicine Integration into Medicine Curriculum. International federated conference of the the 2013 Annual Meeting and Exhibition of the Medical Library Association (MLA ’13), the 11th International Congress on Medical Librarianship (ICML), the 7th International Conference of Animal Health Information Specialists (ICAHIS), and the 6th International Clinical Librarian Conference (ICLC). Boston, MA. Poster (May 2013)
- McEwen, Heather A., Cudnik, Michelle L., Baughman, Kristin R., Hewit, Michael, Weiss, Lisa N. Interprofessional Small Group Assignments for Medical and Pharmacy Students. International federated conference of the 2013 Annual Meeting and Exhibition of the Medical Library Association (MLA ’13), the 11th International Congress on Medical Librarianship (ICML), the 7th International Conference of Animal Health Information Specialists (ICAHIS), and the 6th International Clinical Librarian Conference (ICLC). Boston, MA. Paper (May 2013)
- Cudnik, Michelle L., McEwen, Heather A., Kasmer, Richard J. Interdisciplinary Faculty Involvement in Interprofessional Evidence-based Medicine Courses. 2012. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Annual Meeting. Kissimmee, FL. Poster (July 2012)
- McEwen HA, Johnson R, Stockton LM, Spalding JM, Sperling DM, Weiss LN. Librarians role in the evidence based medicine integration into the medical curriculum. In: Blevins A, Inman M, editors. Curriculum-based library instruction: from cultivating faculty relationships to assessment. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group; 2014. p. 158-164.
- Docherty JJ, McEwen HA, Sweet TJ, Bailey E, & Booth TD. Resveratrol inhibition of Propionibacterium acnes. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2007 Jun;59(6):1182-4.
- King D, Jarjoura D, McEwen HA, & Askew MJ. Growth hormone injections improve bone quality in a mouse model of Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Journal of Bone & Mineral Research. 2005;20(6):987-993.
- King D, Chase J, Havey RM, Voronov L, Sartori M, McEwen HA, Beamer WG, & Patwardhan A. Effects of Growth Hormone Transgene Expression on Vertebrae in a Mouse Model of Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Spine. 2004;30(13):1491-1495.
- McEwen H A & Leff LG. Colonization of Stream Macroinvertebrates by Bacteria. Archiv Fur Hydrobiologie. 2001;151:51–61.