Employment Eligibility Verification
Policy Number: 3349-07-55
Effective Date: 09/10/2010
Responsible Department: Human Resources
Applies To: All University Employees
- To comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (“IRCA”) which requires employers to review and certify a new Employee’s identity and employability through the use of a Federal Employment Eligibility Verification (I‐9) form.
- This Policy applies to all University employees, including but not limited to, faculty, administrative staff, unclassified hourly employees, classified civil service employees, and student employees.
- This policy does not apply to University employees hired prior to November 7, 1986, who have been continuously on the University’s payroll since that date.
- Consult University Policy No. 3349‐7‐01.
- In accordance with the IRCA, the University shall verify employment eligibility of all new employees, in person, within three working days of the beginning of employment.
- Employment eligibility must be documented using the I‐9 form. The I‐9 form lists documents needed to prove employment eligibility. These documents must be inspected for propriety and authenticity, and an authorized University representative must sign the I‐9 form.