The 2016-2017 application will open July 18, 2016.
About The Program
If you assumed that medical school was at least four years in the future and becoming a physician at least eight, NEOMED offers a different path to explore!
NEOMED has the oldest accelerated, combined degree program in the state of Ohio and one of only a select few accelerated programs in the nation. Students apply to the program during their senior year of high school, and, upon admission, enjoy the benefits of having a reserved seat in medical school when they begin their college program. They earn a combined bachelor of science and doctor of medicine (B.S./M.D.) degree in only six or seven years.
The B.S./M.D. program has two phases. In Phase 1, students take premedical course work at an accelerated pace of two or three years at one of the three universities in the NEOMED educational consortium: The University of Akron, Kent State University and Youngstown State University. NEOMED's main campus is centrally located to all three universities, being fewer than 35 miles from each. Classes are attended full time on one of these campuses, including summers. However, students have vacations between semesters, in the spring and over the winter holidays.
At the time of application, all candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
Statistics About Our Applicants
Please view our 2015 Entry Class Profile for statistics about our most recently admitted B.S./M.D. class.
Average accepted ACT score: 31
Average accepted SAT score: 1413
Average accepted GPA: 3.88
Application Materials Needed
- Online Application
- ACT or SAT scores (should be posted on your official high school transcripts)
- Official High School Transcripts
- Instructions as to where and how to submit official high school transcripts will be provided during the application process. Do not send transcripts or any other materials to NEOMED. Any materials sent to NEOMED will not be reviewed as part of your application.
Application deadline: November 18, 2016
Supplemental items received deadline: November 18, 2016
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about the program and application process by viewing our Frequently Asked Questions.
Advantages of the B.S./M.D. Program
- Completing your baccalaureate and medical degrees in only six or seven years.
- Once accepted from high school, your seat at NEOMED is reserved without reapplying.
- Priority in scheduling classes while in Phase I, even as a freshman.
- Premedical school involvement at NEOMED through various programs, activities and seminars.
- Over 6,500 teaching beds in a network of 22 hospitals.
Suggested Basic High School Curriculum
Successful candidates are expected to take a challenging college preparatory high school curriculum. For details, please see the State of Ohio Core Curriculum. We encourage you to pursue a solid high school curriculum as well as co-curricular and extracurricular activities for a well-balanced experience.
For specific questions pertaining to the B.S./M.D. program, please feel free to call 330.325.6270 [or toll-free at 1.800.686.2511].