The ideal candidate for the presidency will embrace the vision and mission of NEOMED as the leader in community-based health sciences education. The successful presidential candidate will require a strong background in community engagement; must understand how health sciences education contributes to the well-being of communities in which they reside; and must display an ability to obtain the resources required for these objectives to be accomplished. Respecting the history and culture of NEOMED, while simultaneously leading towards a dynamic future, will require the next President to have superb communication skills and a high level of community engagement both internally and externally.
The candidate should have a strong track record of inclusivity and collaborative leadership that facilitates change management in creative ways. In so doing, the individual must possess personal character that places institutional interests above self-interest. Ideal candidates should have a track record of positioning public institutions of higher education in ways that enable them to thrive in the 21st century. They must be able to effectively communicate among multiple groups the reasons why innovation, entrepreneurial opportunities and risk should be embraced to advance NEOMED’s mission.
An appropriate undergraduate degree with an advanced terminal degree required (such as M.D., Ph.D., Pharm.D., M.B.A, M.H.A, J.D., etc.) or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge & Work Experience Requirements
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible senior leadership roles ideally gained in an academic or health care environment.
- Experience as a successful future-thinking executive/administrator in a complex and dynamic institution with a regional and/or national reputation for excellence.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and culturally inclusivity.
- Possesses strong financial acumen and budgeting experience within complex organizations, ideally knowledgeable of public financing.
- Experience with effective board management.
- Expertise at building internal and external relationships and have a demonstrated track record of fostering collegial relationships with faculty providers, nationally prominent academic figures, physician leaders, pharmacy leaders, diverse management teams, community organizations, and state and local government.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated interpersonal skills that allow for openness, effective problem resolution and ethical decision-making.
Personal Values & Qualities
- Exhibit core values of personal integrity, empathy and understanding of the shared culture that has come to define NEOMED.
- Possess the capacity to “think ahead” and “boldly” address the strategic challenges that a public academic health sciences university faces in the 21st century.
- Think strategically in a dynamic environment that requires flexibility, collaboration, vision and ability to make timely decisions.
- Strong emotional intelligence whereby personal leadership is characterized by the ability to engender trust, hope and optimism among faculty, students and staff.
- Seek solutions to conflict that empower others to take ownership of problems, and respect and affirm the dignity of others.
- Sophisticated interpersonal and business skills that enable successful collaborations to form and that will benefit all parties.
- Demonstrate comfort with ambiguity, possess a positive perspective, able to inspire and empower others.