12/10/19Categories: College Update, Faculty Pride, Research Pride
There were a lot of accomplishments from mid-September to December in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences! The notable list includes:
Christine Crish, Ph.D.
- PI on funded award: Ohio Lions Eye Research Foundation-Visual System Dysfunction in Alzheimer’s Disease.” 10/1/19 to 12/31/2019
- Mechanism of ZCCHC6 Regulation of Mitochondrial Dysfunction In Alzheimer’s Disease. (co-I: C. Crish; PI: Tariq Haqqi,NEOMED COM). R01 submitted to NIH NIA special interest in mitochondrial dynamics in Alzheimer’s disease. November 2019.
- Neuroprotective potential of irisin in dementia-associated tauopathy (PI: C. Crish; Co-Is S. Fleming & S. Crish). Alzheimer’s Association Research Grant (AARG) Resubmission. October 2019.
Sheila Fleming, Ph.D.
Department of Defense:
“Exercise effects on synuclein aggregation, neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration”
Initiating PI: Caryl Sortwell, Ph.D. | $954,566 D+I
Partnering PI: Sheila Fleming, Ph.D. | Active 9/15/19-9/14/22
Agency: Department of Defense, FY18-PRP-IIRA, Biological mechanisms of impact from exercise on neurodegeneration in Parkinson’s disease
This grant will determine the therapeutic efficacy of exercise in an optimized alpha-synuclein model of Parkinson’s disease.
“Extending WAAVES+: An animal and environment-agnostic, automated USV scoring platform for high-throughput social, behavioral, and neuropharmacological studies”
PI: Cornerstone Research Group, Inc. | Active:8/1/19-7/31/21
Consultant: Sheila Fleming, Ph.D. | $20,000
Agency: NIH/NIMH STTR FOA PA-18-579
This grant will develop an approach for a generalized, automated scoring tool for ultrasonic vocalizations (USVs) to be used when studying neuropsychiatric conditions.
- Neal ML, Fleming S, Kim C, Budge KM, Boyle AM, Beier EE, Wu LJ, Richardson JR (2019). Pharmacological inhibition of CSF1R by GW4680 does not deplete microglia and is protective against neuroinflammation and dopaminergic neurodegeneration. FASEB Journal, in press.
- September: Participated in a grant review panel for the Michael J Fox Foundation “Fall 2019 Astrocyte Biology in PD focused RFA”
- October: Presented at the Society for Neuroscience Meeting
- Ismail Safi (P4 student) presented: Safi I, Al-Rhayyel Y, Herman DE, Lin L, Fleming SM, Dengler-Crish CM (2019). Behavioral characterization of sensorimotor, neuropsychiatric, and cognitive function in transgenic mice overexpressing human tau.
- Sheila Fleming presented: Fleming SM, Patterson JR, Kemp CJ, Miller KM, Stoll AC, Duffy MF, Herman DE, Luk KC, Sortwell CE (2019). Intrastriatal injection of alpha-synuclein preformed fibrils in rats results in motor and non-motor impairments.
- Collaborator presented: Gezer A, Kochmanski J, VanOeveren SE, Kemp CJ, Patterson JR, Strauss AC, Fleming S, Luk KC, Sortwell CE, Bernstein AI (2019). Developmental dieldrin exposure induces neuroinflammation and male-specific increased susceptibility to α-synuclein pre-formed fibrils.
- “Woll Postdoctoral Fellow and Graduate Fellow project in Neurodegenerative Disease Research.” Christine Crish and Sheila Fleming: $94,313
Moses Oyewumi, Ph.D.
- Manickavasagam D, and Oyewumi MO. Nose-to-Brain Co-delivery of Repurposed Simvastatin and BDNF Synergistically Attenuates LPS-Induced Neuroinflammation. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine. Accepted.
Takhar Kasumov, Ph.D.
- McCullough A., Lee K., Osme A., Ilchenko S., Kim C., Wang S., Previs S.F., Smith J.D., Dasarathy S., Kasumov T. HDL flux is higher in in patients with NAFLD. AJP Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2019 2019 Nov 1;317(5): E852-E862.
- Ilchenko S., Haddad A., Sadana P., Recchia FA, Sadygov R., Kasumov T. Calculation of the Protein Turnover Rate Using the Number of Incorporated 2H Atoms and Proteomics Analysis of a Single Labelled Sample. Analytical Chemistry, 2019, (Epub ahead of print).
Matthew Smith, Ph.D.
- Cappelli HC, Guarino BD, Kanugula AK, Adapala RK, Perera VP, Smith MA, Paruchuri S, and Thodeti CK (2019). Transient receptor potential vanilloid 4 channel deletion regulates pathological but not physiological retinal angiogenesis. Journal of Cellular Physiology (Submitted pending review).
- IPM Grad Student (Naseem Amirmokhtari) Presented: Amirmokhtari N, Bouhenni RA, Smith MA (2019) Assessing the integrity of eye-brain communication in a mouse model of pediatric glaucoma. Poster presentation at the Annual Society for Neuroscience Meeting in Chicago, IL. October 21, 2019.
- IPM Grad Student (Naseem Amirmokhtari): Amirmokhtari N. Assessing the integrity of eye-brain communication in a mouse model of pediatric glaucoma. Oral Presentation at the Prevent Blindness Ohio Vision Research Scientific Forum. November 21, 2019. Ohio State Havener Eye Institute, Columbus, Ohio.
- Collaborator Presented: Plyler ES, Smith MA, Dengler-Crish CM, & Crish SD. Ocular amyloid triggers signaling dysfunction in retinal ganglion cells
- Student Received (Naseem Amirmokhtari): The Prevent Blindness Young Investigator Student Fellowship Awards for Female Scholars in Vision Research. $5,000.
Min You, pH.d.
- Stahl Z, Li Y, Buehler B, You M. Ablation of CISD2 in Hepatocytes Protects Mice from Ethanol-Induced Liver Damage. The Liver Meeting/American Association For the Study of Liver Diseases, November 13-17, 2019, Boston, MA.
- Zhou Z, Ye TJ, DeCaro E, Buehler B, Stahl Z, Bonavita G, Daniels M, You M. Intestinal SIRT1 Deficiency Protects Mice from Ethanol-Induced Liver Injury by Mitigating Ferroptosis. Am J Pathol. 2019. In press.