The Department of Urology offers a four-week elective to the M4 student. The M4 elective is offered on all three campuses at Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Summa Health and Akron Children’s Hospital. This elective is geared toward those students showing a serious interest in pursuing a urologic residency. Students who plan to apply to the Cleveland Clinic Akron General Urology Residency Program are highly encouraged to participate in this elective.
- increase the student’s understanding of the scope of urology, including histories and physicals on in- and outatients, ambulatory care evaluation and participation in surgical cases
- initiate the student into reading about specific urologic diseases and problems
- achieve a deeper understanding of the anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of urologic disease
- daily rounds and duties as dictated by the chief resident
- surgical scrubbing
- participation in all GU conferences and journal clubs
- a PowerPoint presentation during Wednesday Grand Rounds on a focused urologic topic as directed by the chief resident or an attending physician