The Department of Urology offers a four-week elective to the M4 student. This elective is geared toward those students showing a serious interest in pursuing a urologic residency. For this reason, students who plan to apply to Northeast Ohio Medical University Urology Residency Program are highly encouraged to participate in this elective. This four-week elective is offered only on the Akron campus under the approval of the program director.
- increase the student’s understanding of the scope of urology, including histories and physicals on in- and outatients, ambulatory care evaluation and participation in surgical cases
- initiate the student into reading about specific urologic diseases and problems
- achieve a deeper understanding of the anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of urologic disease.
- participation in the on-call schedule
- daily rounds and duties as dictated by the chief resident
- surgical scrubbing
- participation in all GU conferences and journal clubs
- a PowerPoint presentation during Wednesday Grand Rounds on a focused urologic topic as directed by the chief resident or an attending physician.
After your elective is approved, you will receive a schedule with where to report, times, important phone numbers, etc., approximately two weeks prior to your elective. If you don’t receive a schedule within a week of your start date, contact Kimberly Stakleff, Ph.D. at 330.535.5173.