Assistant Professor of Family and Community Medicine
I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Northeast Ohio Medical University. I teach research, evaluation, statistics, social determinants of health, and quality improvement to medical, graduate and post-graduate students. I have formally mentored students in research as a dissertation, capstone and thesis advisor. I also work as an informal mentor with students on individual research projects.
My research provides voice for the patient experience, particularly regarding symptomatology and diagnostic experiences, health disparities and brings attention to critical gaps in care. I also focus on mental health screening and help-seeking among special populations including during pregnancy.
I teach coursework in and facilitate groups for the following College of Medicine courses: Population Health (M1), Social Determinants of Health (M4), Quality Improvement (M4).
I co-direct and serve as faculty for the following College of Graduate Studies CEOMPH courses:
Public Health Research and Evaluation, Capstone I, Capstone II
- 2021 Outstanding Faculty of the Year, CEOMPH
- 2019 Junior Faculty Award at Northeast Ohio Medical University
- 2019 Department of Family and Community Medicine Research and Innovation Award
- Baughman, K.R., & Fischbein, R. (May, 2022). Teaching the scientific method and self-directed learning to medical students using publicly available resources. Research presentation at the Society for Teachers of Family Medicine Annual Spring Conference, May 2022 in Indianapolis, IN.
- Fischbein, R., Cook, H., & Baughman, K. (October, 2021). Using machine learning to predict help-seeking among PRAMS participants with postpartum depression symptoms. Research presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Denver, CO, online.
- Fischbein, R., Falletta, L., Regoeczi, W. et al. (November, 2019) Developing profiles of modifiable maternal risk for preterm birth: Using conjunctive analysis of case configurations. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG), Toronto.
- Lanese, B. & Fischbein, R. (April, 2017). The impact of the ACA’s Medicaid expansion on public program enrollment across the States. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, IL.
- Fischbein, R.L., Bryant, J., & Kenne, D.R. (October, 2016). Contraceptive preferences and perceptions among women who are opioid abusers and pregnant or recently pregnant. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Denver, CO.
- Fischbein, R., Gardner-Buckshaw, S., Loucek, A., *Ravichandran, S., *Eichler, M., & Boltri, J. (2020). Pandemic productivity: Student-run free clinic integrates behavioral health in the wake of COVID-19. Academic Psychiatry, 45, 608-612.
- Fischbein, R., Nicholas, L., Kingsbury, D., Falletta, L., Baughman, K., VanGeest, J. (2019). State anxiety in pregnancies affected by obstetric complications: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders, 257(1), 214-240
- Fischbein, R. & Bonfine, N. Pharmacy and medical students’ experience with and attitudes about mental health concerns, coping behaviors and help-seeking. (2019). Journal of Pharmacy Education, 83(10), 7558.
- Fischbein R, Nicholas L, Aultman J, Baughman K, Falletta L. (2018). Twin-twin transfusion syndrome screening and diagnosis in the United States: A triangulation design of patient experiences. PloS ONE, 13(7): e0200087.
- Fischbein, R.L., Lanese, B., Falletta, L., Bryant, J., & Kenne, D.R. (2018). Pregnant or recently pregnant opioid users: contraception decisions, perceptions and preferences. Contraception and Reproductive Medicine, 3(4),1-9.