How to Apply
- Personal statement(s)
- Current transcript
- Letter of recommendation
No cost. Only your time and expertise!
Scholar’s Program Overview
THE AHEC Scholars Program invites you to discover interprofessional team-based education dialogue and experiences to enhance access to quality health care in your community.
The program is designed as a supplement your existing health professionals program to learn interprofessional team-based education with both urban and rural populations in underserved communities.
What you can expect
- Understanding the health issues in communities that are considered rural and urban underserved.
- Innovative learning opportunities to address patient centered health care.
- Specialized personal development to make you “stand out” from the others.
Hands-on Experiential Training
You will engage in forty (40) hours of highly engaging activities surrounding social determinants of health and health disparities that affect both urban and rural underserved medically underserved areas. Through an additional forty (40) hours, you will work with health professionals, faculty, and your peers to discover best practices to team-based community experiential training!
As an AHEC Scholar, you will be working primarily at a partnering university and in local communities for a more personal experience.
Regional activities at NEOMED are also a part of the AHEC Scholars Program experience.
Make sure to wear comfortable clothes for the unexpected!
A Supportive Learning Community
- Mid-year activity
- End-of-year celebration
At Partner Universities
- Poverty & health
- Infant mortality
- Health & well-being
- Opioid/substance abuse
- SBIRT & motivational interviewing
- …with other topics including cultural competency, behavioral & mental health, practice transformation, public health, & current and emerging health issues.
In Your Community
- Team-based community experiential learning
- Collaboration with faculty/community preceptors
- Interaction with community members on important health issues
- Development of a community related activity or simulated practice opportunity
AHEC Scholar Benefits
- Access to health care professionals
- Research opportunities
- Building professional relationships with faculty members at your university and at NEOMED
- Resume-building experiences
- Free AHEC Scholars polo shirt
- Certificate of completion