Administrative Policy: Academic
COM – LOA Clinical Skills Assessment Policy
Policy Number: 3349-AC-428
Effective Date: 07/02/2020
Responsible Department: Office of the Dean and Medical Education
Approval Authority: Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Responsible Department: College of Medicine, Office of the Dean and Medical Education
The purpose of this Policy is to ensure a consistent practice of administering clinical skills assessments to College of Medicine students returning to the curriculum after a leave of absence.
This Policy applies all students in the College of Medicine returning to the curriculum from a leave of absence (for any reason) lasting six months or longer.
- LOA: Leave of absence for any reason
- CSA: Clinical skills assessment
- CAPP: The Committee on Academic and Professional Progress
D. Policy Statement
- Students returning to the M2 curriculum from a LOA will be required to take CSA I for formative feedback.
- All students returning to the M3 curriculum from a LOA will be required to take CSA II for formative feedback.
- All students returning to M4 curriculum from a LOA will be required to take the final CSA III for formative feedback, regardless of whether they have taken and passed Step 2 Clinical Skills examination.
- Feedback will be shared with the appropriate course director(s)in the year the student is re-entering. Students will be made aware that this feedback is being shared for their educational benefit.
- Students will be informed of the CSA requirements via their CAPP results letter before they go on leave.