Administrative Policy: Academic
Academic Integrated Management System (AIMS)
Policy Number: 3349-AC-208
Effective Date: 05/07/2019
Responsible Department: VPAA
The purpose of this policy is to standardize instructional design of the professional school courses to deliver a consistent user experience across the learning management system. The policy is intended to set standards for the user interface and naming conventions.
This policy applies to all faculty and staff using the learning management system to develop official course sites for the colleges and programs within Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED).
- Learning Management System refers to a software application for the administration, documentation, tracking, reporting and delivery of educational courses.
- Style guide refers to the designated requirements of the essential components to include to ensure consistency when developing courses. The guide includes course templates along with file naming and design conventions.
- Syllabus template(s) refers to a template that provide uniform documentation of the requirements for each course as defined by their respective College or program.
- Course site for the purpose of this policy, course site refers to the official work site for an academic course and is limited to a specific academic term. Course sites are created and populated with students automatically. All course related materials (syllabus, resources, schedules, assignments, messages) are housed here. Each site has a designated primary course director and/or co-director and assigned curriculum support staff.
- Course template(s) refers to the templates that determine the required course elements, layout and organization of the content for consistency within a course.
D. Policy Statement and Procedures
- All faculty and staff using the learning management system for creating official course sites will follow this policy to achieve standardization of the instructional design of the professional school courses to deliver a consistent user experience.
- The colleges and programs of NEOMED will have responsibility for administration and adherence to this policy.
- The colleges and programs of NEOMED will have responsibility for development of and adherence to a designated syllabus template.
- The colleges and programs of NEOMED will have responsibility for development of and adherence to the naming and design conventions in their designated style guide procedures.
- Each NEOMED college and program will designate an individual who will have responsibility for monitoring adherence to the established policy, style guide procedures and standards. The individual will be listed by name within the style guide procedures for their college or program. Academic Technology will work in collaboration with the designated individual for each college and program to ensure adherence. Effective July 1, 2020, any course determined to be in violation of established policy, procedures and standards will be referred to the designated individual responsible for monitoring adherence for resolution within their respective college or program. Each college and program have responsibility for outlining steps for resolution of non-adherence.
- Northeast Ohio Medical University reserves the right to report any course that does not adhere to established policy, style guide procedures and standards to the designated individual responsible for monitoring adherence for their respective college or program.