Appendix A – COM Procedure for Appointment, Promotion, Reappointment, and Evaluation of Non-tenure Track Faculty
Policy Number: 3349-03-22
Effective Date: 06/05/2011
Responsible Department: College of Medicine, Office of Faculty Affairs
Applies To: Faculty, College of Medicine
L. Clinical faculty leave of absence
- Clinical Faculty who are employees of the University are expected to follow the leave procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook of the University.
- A non-employee, clinical faculty member may request a leave of absence when the faculty member is expected to be absent from clinical activities for no less than six (6) months or more than two (2) years.
- A request for a leave of absence shall be made by the faculty member to the clinical Department Chair for approval.
- A clinical leave of absence may be requested for reasons including, but not limited to:
- care for serious health condition such as injury or illness for the faculty member or an immediate family member;
- childbirth, adoption or foster care;
- additional organized training;
- military service; or
- other personal reasons.
- At the request of the faculty member, the University Department Chair may, in his or her discretion, defer the review of the faculty member until the next subsequent three-year review cycle.
- Leaves of absence approved by the University Department Chair will be forwarded to the Office of Faculty Affairs for inclusion in the faculty member’s official file.
- Return to Appendix A – COM Procedure for Appointment, Promotion, Reappointment, and Evaluation of Non-tenure Track Faculty home
- A. Definitions
- B. Academic Appointments
- C. Titles of Distinction
- D. Basic Principles for Appointment, Promotion and Reappointment
- E. Structure and Function of the Faculty Appointments and Promotions Committee
- F. Time in Rank
- G. Appointment and Promotion General Considerations
- H. Faculty in Non-Clinical Departments – Appointment and Promotion Standards and Documentation
- I. Faculty in Clinical Departments – Appointment and Promotion Standards and Documentation
- J. Procedures for Processing Appointments and Promotions
- K. Procedures for Annual Evaluation and Processing Reappointments and Nonreappointments