Appendix A – COM Procedure for Appointment, Promotion, Reappointment, and Evaluation of Non-tenure Track Faculty
Policy Number: 3349-03-22
Effective Date: 06/05/2011
Responsible Department: College of Medicine, Office of Faculty Affairs
Applies To: Faculty, College of Medicine
G. Appointment and Promotion General Considerations
- Initial appointment is primarily based upon past performance with an expectation of continued contribution at a level commensurate with the appointment.
- Promotions may be awarded after the minimum time in rank and contributions commensurate with the higher rank have been achieved.
- The Committee will consider any specific exceptions or requirements set forth in the faculty member’s letter of appointment or any amendments thereto.
- In evaluating the candidate’s performance, the weighting of the evaluation areas may vary. Consideration will be given to the mission of the Department and the demands of the appropriate discipline. Both quality and quantity of the individual’s contribution will be taken into consideration.
- Considerations include, but are not limited to:
- complete written application submitted by a candidate for appointment and promotion which documents that the candidate has met the criteria set forth for appointment regarding promotion;
- possession of an appropriate terminal degree or exceptions as justified by the candidate’s Department Chair and approved by the Dean and President;
- expertise in an appropriate academic field and evidence of dedication to continuing advancement of this field of knowledge;
- ability and dedication as an effective teacher;
- creativity and competence in an appropriate field of research and scholarship; and
- ability to assume responsibility for professional services or administration of health services.
- Return to Appendix A – COM Procedure for Appointment, Promotion, Reappointment, and Evaluation of Non-tenure Track Faculty home
- A. Definitions
- B. Academic Appointments
- C. Titles of Distinction
- D. Basic Principles for Appointment, Promotion and Reappointment
- E. Structure and Function of the Faculty Appointments and Promotions Committee
- F. Time in Rank
- H. Faculty in Non-Clinical Departments – Appointment and Promotion Standards and Documentation
- I. Faculty in Clinical Departments – Appointment and Promotion Standards and Documentation
- J. Procedures for Processing Appointments and Promotions
- K. Procedures for Annual Evaluation and Processing Reappointments and Nonreappointments
- L. Clinical faculty leave of absence