Appendix A – COM Procedure for Appointment, Promotion, Reappointment, and Evaluation of Non-tenure Track Faculty
Policy Number: 3349-03-22
Effective Date: 06/05/2011
Responsible Department: College of Medicine, Office of Faculty Affairs
Applies To: Faculty, College of Medicine
B. Academic Appointments
- The following academic ranks have been established for non-tenure track faculty:
- Associate Professor,
- Assistant Professor, and
- Designation of Academic Title. Academic titles include the academic rank and Department designation. Academic rank shall not include other qualifiers except as indicated for limited, joint and resident appointments and titles of distinction.
- Standing Appointments. Appointments on a continuing basis subject to periodic review for reappointment and non-reappointment with all the rights and responsibilities as set forth in the University Faculty Bylaws. The title does not have a “limiting” prefix.
- Limited Appointments. The following appointments may be awarded to persons whose academic contributions to the College are limited in time or scope. For persons holding rank at another accredited University of higher education, the rank awarded will usually be consistent with the rank held at the primary University.
- Adjunct appointments are for persons whose academic contributions to the College are primarily teaching and for whom another category of appointment is not appropriate. The prefix “Adjunct” is added to the rank.
- Research appointments are for persons whose contributions to the College are primarily investigational. The prefix “Research” is added to the rank.
- Visiting appointments are for persons from other Universities who are temporarily involved in the programs of the College of Medicine. The prefix “Visiting” is added to the rank.
- Joint Appointments.
- These appointments may be awarded to individuals who already hold an academic appointment within the University.
- Joint appointments may be made only when an individual participates in teaching or research in a Department, other than his or her primary Department, to a significant degree and when such teaching or research is expected to be of long duration.
- Such appointments require the recommendation of the Department Chair where the secondary appointment is sought and the concurrence of the Department Chair where the primary appointment is held or sought. These appointments will be processed in accordance with the procedures outlined herein.
- The appointment will ordinarily be at the same level as the appointment held in the primary Department.
- An application for promotion will always be initiated through the faculty member’s primary Department.
- The equivalent promotion for the secondary appointment is not automatic but is predicated upon the positive recommendation of the Department Chair where the secondary appointment is held.
- Resident Appointments. Any resident in PGY-2 year or greater who teaches medical students may be eligible for rank as Clinical Instructor. This appointment will automatically terminate upon the completion of the residency training program of the Department in which the rank is awarded.
- Appointments Solely Within the Purview of the Dean. Recommendations for appointment in the following categories are typically reviewed and approved solely by the Dean but may, at his/her discretion, be forwarded to the Faculty Appointments and Promotions Committee and/or the Academic Council.
- Visiting appointments, if the recommended rank is consistent with the individual’s qualifications or appointment at another accredited University of higher education;
- Adjunct or Research appointments, if the recommended rank is consistent with the appointment an individual holds at another accredited University of higher education;
- Appointments of entry level (assistant professor and instructor) Track 2 (“Clinical” prefix) clinical faculty members;
- All appointments at the level of Instructor; and
- Retired status.
- Return to Appendix A – COM Procedure for Appointment, Promotion, Reappointment, and Evaluation of Non-tenure Track Faculty home
- A. Definitions
- C. Titles of Distinction
- D. Basic Principles for Appointment, Promotion and Reappointment
- E. Structure and Function of the Faculty Appointments and Promotions Committee
- F. Time in Rank
- G. Appointment and Promotion General Considerations
- H. Faculty in Non-Clinical Departments – Appointment and Promotion Standards and Documentation
- I. Faculty in Clinical Departments – Appointment and Promotion Standards and Documentation
- J. Procedures for Processing Appointments and Promotions
- K. Procedures for Annual Evaluation and Processing Reappointments and Nonreappointments
- L. Clinical faculty leave of absence