University Faculty Bylaws
Policy Number: 3349-03-01
Effective Date: 06/01/2011
Responsible Department: Office of the VPAA
Applies To: Faculty
N. University Title of Distinction: Distinguished University Professor
- The title of Distinguished University Professor is a non-salaried designation that may be conferred by the University, from time to time, on individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary achievement as NEOMED faculty members. This represents the highest honor that the University can confer on a faculty member and will only be awarded for truly exceptional contributions.
- Only full professors will be eligible for consideration. Candidates must meet the following criteria to be recommended for consideration:
- Documented evidence of sustained excellence in education at NEOMED;
- A protracted record of distinguished scholarship spanning at least a decade;
- Evidence of extraordinary academic achievement that has been formally recognized by an authoritative national or international body; and,
- Documentation from appropriate individuals external to NEOMED that the candidate is a premier contributor to his or her discipline or field of study.
- Nominations for the title of Distinguished University Professor may originate from a Department Chair, Dean of a College, or the President.
- The nomination and supporting documentation will be forwarded to the President who will convene an ad hoc committee of three to five faculty members who hold the rank of full professor to consider the merits of individuals recommended for the title. At the discretion of the President, one of the committee members may be a senior faculty member at another institution of higher education or research institute.
- The ad hoc committee will make positive recommendations to the President for consideration.
- If approved by the President, the nomination will be forwarded to the Board of Trustees for consideration.
- Return to University Faculty Bylaws home
- A. Purpose
- B. Scope
- C. Definitions
- D. The President
- E. The Vice-President for Academic Affairs (“VPAA”)
- F. The Vice-President for Health Affairs (“VPHA”)
- G. Vice-President for Research (“VP for Research”)
- H. The Dean
- I. Department Chair
- J. Faculty
- K. Faculty Committees
- L. College Faculty Committees
- M. Tenure
- O. Sanctions and Dismissal of Faculty for Just Cause
- P. Amendments