University Faculty Bylaws
Policy Number: 3349-03-01
Effective Date: 06/01/2011
Responsible Department: Office of the VPAA
Applies To: Faculty
A. Purpose of the University Faculty Bylaws (“Bylaws”)
The purpose of the Faculty Bylaws is to establish the organizational basis for faculty governance.
- Establish an organized system of shared governance that is essential to the academic operations of the University. The Bylaws define the roles, rights and responsibilities of academic administrators and the faculty to ensure their faithful discharge. Shared governance is a process subordinate to federal and state governmental authority, the authority of the Board of Trustees, and the delegated authority of the President.
- Provide for an organized system of Committees and Councils that serve to promote the mission and vision of the University and its Colleges.
- Form an effective organizational structure whereby the academic administration and the faculty appropriately collaborate in the consideration, formulation and implementation of academic policies and practices.
- Return to University Faculty Bylaws home
- B. Scope
- C. Definitions
- D. The President
- E. The Vice-President for Academic Affairs (“VPAA”)
- F. The Vice-President for Health Affairs (“VPHA”)
- G. Vice-President for Research (“VP for Research”)
- H. The Dean
- I. Department Chair
- J. Faculty
- K. Faculty Committees
- L. College Faculty Committees
- M. Tenure
- N. University Title of Distinction: Distinguished University Professor
- O. Sanctions and Dismissal of Faculty for Just Cause
- P. Amendments