Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) is committed to active engagement and support of innovation, technology development and entrepreneurial activities through the efficient and effective deployment of its resources for the betterment of society and the generation of unrestricted revenue to support its mission.
In support of its mission, the University aspires to the following goals:
- To align activities of the public-private partnership area and the technology transfer operation with the strategic priorities of the University.
- To enhance the scope of the University research to encompass the continuum from fundamental basic science discovery to translational research in partnership with other public and private partners.
- To effectively and efficiently assess discovery disclosures, appropriately protect University Intellectual Property and conduct due diligence on identified potential licensing partners.
- To identify and implement innovative models of research, resource sharing, collaboration, technology development and technology transfer that will result in lasting relationships with the private sector business community.
- To engage in activities and enter into partnerships that will result in income generation to contribute to the financial sustainability of the University and to support its research, education and service initiatives.
- To promote integrity and accountability in the innovation, technology development and entrepreneurial activities of the University.
- To ensure that the public benefits from the research, innovation, technology development, licensing and entrepreneurial efforts of the University.
Based on the University’s established expertise in medical research and education, the Office of General Counsel is focused on technology commercialization in the biomedical industry, with special emphasis on our four research focus areas:
- Auditory neuroscience
- Community-based mental health
- Metabolic and cardiovascular disease
- Skeletal biology
By enhancing innovation and discovery through public-private partnerships, the University strives to positively impact both its educational community and the geographic region through technology commercialization and entrepreneurship initiatives.