Charles K. Thodeti, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Vascular Biology
Department of Integrative Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Ph.D., Zoology (Physiology and Biochemistry Concentration), S. V. University, Tirupati, India - 1994
M.S., Zoology (Reproductive Physiology Specialization), S. V. University, Tirupati, India - 1987
B.S., Botany/Chemistry majors, S. V. University, Tirupati, India - 1985
Assistant Professor of Vascular Biology, Department of Integrative Medical Sciences, Northeast Ohio Medical University, Rootstown, Ohio - 2009-Present
Instructor, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass. - 2004-2009
Staff Scientist, Children's Hospital, Boston, Mass. - 2004-2009
Research Associate Professor, University of Copenhagen, Denmark - 2001-2004
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Lund University, Sweden - 1997-2000
Research Associate, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India - 1995-1996
Research Associate, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, India
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Wenner-Gren Foundation, Stockholm, Sweden
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Swedish Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
North American Vascular Biology Organization
American Heart Association
American Physiology Society
- Principal Investigator: NIH-R01: Mechanotransduction in myocardial adaptations to ischemia. 2015-2019
- Principal Investigator: NIH-R15: Integration of Mechanical and Soluble Signaling in Tumor Angiogenesis. 2015-2018
- Principal Investigator: AHA grant-In-Aid: Mechanical control of endothelial cell function during angiogenesis. 2014-2016.
- Principal Investigator (MPI): NIH-R15: Post-infarction repair of the diabetic myocardium. 2012-15.
- Principal Investigator (MPI): NEOUCOM-Research Incentive grant: Post-infarction repair of the diabetic myocardium using myofibroblasts. 2010.
- Principal Investigator (MPI): Akron Children’s Hospital Foundation: Fabricating a biopolymer construct to optimize chondrocyte growth. 2009-2010.
- Principal Investigator: AHA-Scientist Development Grant: Mechanical Control of Integrin activation in Capillary Endothelial Cells. 2006-2009
- Improving Efficacy of Cancer Therapy: Don Ingber and Charles Thodeti (NEOMED with Harvard Medical School/Children's Hospital Boston, renewed July 14, 2015)
- Modulation of Angiogenesis via TRPV4: Don Ingber and Charles Thodeti (NEOMED with Harvard Medical School/Children's Hospital Boston, renewed May 14, 2015)
- TRPV4 as a Therapeutic Target for Cardioprotection in IHD: Charles Thodeti (filed June 25, 2015)
Editorial Board Member
Journal of Cancer Science & Therapy
Reviewer (ad hoc) - Journals
- Circulation Research
- J Mol Cell Cardiol
- Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol
- Basic Research in Cardiology
- J Cell Physiol
- PLOS One
- Cell Calcium
- Cell Mol Bioengineering
- Integrative Biology
- Am J Physiol Reg Physiol
- Scientific Reports
- J Appl Physiol
- British J Pharmacol
- Molecular Biology of Cell
Chair, Moderator, Sessions Builder: AHA Scientific Sessions on Angiogenesis (2012)
Abstracts grader: AHA Scientific Sessions - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Yorkshire Cancer Research, UK
World Wide cancer Research Organization, UK
Study section reviewer - OCAST (Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science & Technology) 2013, 2014
AHA-Basic Cell MSO 3- April, 2014
AHA-Basic Cell IRG- October, 2014, 2015
NEOMED: Summer Research Fellowships-2014
AHA-Basic Cell MSO 2-April, 2015
Anna University, India
Acharya Nagarjuna University, India
Mechanical Control of Endothelial Cell Function, Angiogenesis and Stem Cell Differentiation
Cells within all living tissues encounter mechanical forces continuously within a changing dynamic environment, and increasing evidence suggests that mechanical forces regulate cell growth, differentiation, motility, protein synthesis and gene expression. Importantly, mechanical forces are critical regulators of cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology. Therefore, understanding how cells sense and convert mechanical signals into biochemical signals, mechanotransduction, could offer novel therapeutic targets for treatment of various cardiovascular diseases and in vitro engineering of organs and tissues such as blood vessels. The long-term goal of my research is to work at the interface between soluble and solid state biochemistry using multidisciplinary approaches to investigate the biophysical, biomechanical and biomechanical mechanisms regulating endothelial cell function and angiogenesis and utilize the knowledge to develop effective vascular normalization therapies for cardiovascular abnormalities such as atherosclerosis, hypertension, diabetes and cancer.
Currently, my laboratory is focused on understanding the role of mechanosensitive TRPV4 ion channels in the regulation of:
- Tumor angiogenesis: Tumor vessels are characterized by abnormal morphology and patterning that cause vascular hyperpermeability and inefficient delivery of anti-cancer agents. We recently demonstrated that these vessel malformations may arise from aberrant Rho-mediated mechanosensing exhibited by tumor endothelial cells in response to mechanical strain. We also found that TRPV4 channels are required for endothelial cell reorientation in response to mechanical force. Therefore, we are investigating the role of TRPV4 channels and dependent signaling mechanisms in the regulation of tumor endothelial cell mechanosensitivity in order to identify novel targets that can be potentially used to normalize abnormal tumor vasculature and improve delivery of chemotherapeutic drugs in vivo.
- Stem cell differentiation into bone and cartilage: Mechanical forces are critical determinants of tissue morphogenesis including bone which is continuously exposed to mechanical forces. Indeed, local micromechanical forces have been shown to regulate human mesenchymal stem cell commitment to bone forming osteoblast like cells. Our focus in this project is to elucidate the biomechanical mechanisms that regulate stem cell differentiation in to bone and cartilage. To this end, we are collaborating with the Departments of Polymer Engineering, University of Akron and Plastic Surgery, Akron Children's Hospital to develop tissue engineering scaffolds that are mechanically osteo-inductive for bone regeneration therapy.
Peer Reviewed Publications (in reverse chronological order):
Thoppil R, Cappelli H, Adapala R, Kanugula AK, Paruchuri S, and Thodeti CK*. (2016) TRPV4 channels regulate tumor angiogenesis via modulation of Rho/Rho kinase pathway. Oncotarget (In Press).
Dellostritto DJ, Connell PJ, Dick GM, Fancher IS, Klarich B, Fahmy JN, Kang PT1, Chen YR, Damron DS, Thodeti CK, Bratz IN. (2016). Differential regulation of TRPV1 channels by H202: implications for diabetic microvascular dysfunction. Basic Res Cardiol, Mar;111(2):21. doi: 10.1007/s00395-016-0539-4. Epub 2016 Feb 24.
Thoppil R, Adapala R, Cappelli H, Kondeti V, Dudley AC, Meszaros JG, Paruchuri S, and Thodeti CK*. (2015) TRPV4 Channel activation selectively inihibits tumor endothelial cell proliferation. Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group). Sep 21;5: 14257. doi: 10.1038/srep14257.
Kondeti V, Al-Azzam N, Duah E, Thodeti CK, Boyce J, and Paruchuri S. (2015) Leukotriene D4 and Prostaglandin E2 signals synergize and potentiate vascular inflammation in a mast cell-dependent manner via CysLT1R and EP3 receptors. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Aug 5. pii: S0091-6749(15)00912-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2015.06.030. [Epub ahead of print]
Thodeti CK*. (2015) A bouquet for a broken heart: can flowers repair a damaged heart? Circ. Res. 2015 May 22;116(11):1729-31. doi: .1161/CIRCRESAHA.115.306590
Adapala R, Thoppil R, Ghosh K, Cappelli H, Dudley AC, Paruchuri S, Keshamouni V, Klagsbrun M, Meszaros JG, Chilian WM, Ingber D, and Thodeti CK*. (2015) Activation of mechanosensitive ion channel TRPV4 normalizes tumor vasculature and improves cancer therapy. Oncogene. Apr 13. doi: 10.1038/onc.2015.83. [Epub ahead of print]
Rahaman SO, Grove LM, Paruchuri S, Southern BD, Abraham S, Niese KA, Scheraga RG, Ghosh S, Thodeti CK, Zhang DX, Moran MM, Schilling WP, Tschumperlin DJ, Olman MA. (2014). TRPV4 mediates myofibroblast differentiation and pulmonary fibrosis in mice. J Clin Invest. 124(12):5225-38.
Al-Azzam N, Kondeti V, Duah E, Gombedza F, Thodeti CK, and Paruchurri S. Modulation of mast cell proliferative and inflammatory responses by Leukotriene D4 and Stem Cell Factor interactions. J. Cell Physiol. 2014, Aug. 27. doi: 10.1002/jcp.24777. [Epub ahead of print]
Shamhart PE, Luther DJ, Adapala RK, Bryant JE, Peterson, KA, Meszaros JG, and Thodeti CK*. (2014) Hyperglycemia enhances function and differentiation of adult rat cardiac fibroblasts. Canadian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 92(7):598-604.
Duah E, Adapala RK, Al-Azzam N, Kondeti V, Gombedza F, Thodeti CK, and Paruchuri S. (2013) Cysteinyl leukotrienes regulate endothelial cell inflammatory and proliferative signals through CysLT2 and SysLT1 receptors. Sci Rep. (Nature Publishing Group) 3:3274.
Luther DJ, Thodeti CK, and Meszaros JG. (2013) Injury models to study cardiac remodeling in the mouse: Myocardial infarction and ischemia-reperfusion. Methods Mol Biol. 1037:325-42.
Kondeti V, Duah E, Al-Azzam N, Thodeti CK, Boyce JA, and Paruchuri S. (2013) Differential regulation of cysteinyl leukotriene receptor signaling by protein kinase C in human mast cells. PLOS One. 8(8):e71536.
Thodeti CK, Paruchuri S, and Meszaros JG. (2013) A TRP to cardiac fibroblast differentiation. Channels. 7:211-214.
Adapala RK, Thoppil R, Luther DJ, Sailaja P, Meszaros JG, Chilian WM, and Thodeti CK*. (2012) TRPV4 channels mediate cardiac fibroblast differentiation by integrating mechanical and soluble signals. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 54:45-52.
Jolanta MK, Carl S, Thodeti CK, Adapala RK, Ananth M, Alamgir K, (2012) Engineering 2.5D Constructs for Characterizing Phase Separated Polymer Blend Surface Morphology in Tissue Engineering Scaffolds. J. Biomed. Mat. Res.: Part A doi:10.1002/jmb.a.34439.
Jones TJ, Adapala RK, Geldenhuys WJ, Bursley C, Aboualaiwi WA, Nauli SM, Thodeti CK. Primary cilia regulates the directional migration and barrier integrity of endothelial cells through the modulation of hsp27 dependent actin cytoskeletal organization. J Cell Physiol. 2011 Feb 24. doi: 10.1002/jcp.22704. [Epub ahead of print]
Luther DJ, Thodeti CK, Shamhart PE, Adapala RK, Hodnichak C, Weihrauch D, Bonaldo P, Chilian WM, and Meszaros JG. Absence of type VI collagen paradoxically improves cardiac function, structure, and remodeling after myocardial infarction. Circ. Res. 2012, March 16;110(6):851-6. (Cover Page)
Sero JE, Thodeti CK, Mammoto A, Bakal C, Thomas S, and Ingber DE. (2012) Paxillin mediates sensing of physical cues and regulates directional cell motility by controlling lamellipodia positioning. PLoS One 6(12):e28203.
Guarini G, Ohanyan V, Kmetz JG, Dellostritto D, Thoppil R, Thodeti CK, Meszaros JG, Damron DS, and Bratz I. (2012) Disruption of TRPV1-mediated coupling of coronary blood flow to cardiac metabolism in diabetic mice: Role nitric oxide and BK channels. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 303(2):H216-23.
Chavez RJ, Haney RM, Cuadra RH, Ganguly R, Adapala RK, Thodeti CK, and Raman P. (2012) Upregulation of Thrombospondin-1 Expression by Leptin in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells via JAK2 and MAPK-dependent pathways. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 303(2):C179-91.
Ohanyan VA, Guarini G, Thodeti CK, Talasila PK, Raman P, Haney RM, Meszaros JG, Damron DS, and Bratz I. Endothelin-mediated in vivo pressor responses following TRPV1 activation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011 Sep;301(3):H1135-42. Epub 2011 Jun 24.
Adapala RK, Talasila PK, Bratz IN, Zhang DX, Suzuki M, Meszaros JG, Thodeti CK. PKCα mediates acetylcholine-induced activation of TRPV4-dependent calcium influx in endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011 Sep;301(3):H757-65. Epub 2011 Jun 24.
Matthews BD, Thodeti CK, Tytell JD, Mammoto A, Overby DR, Ingber DE. Ultra-rapid activation of TRPV4 ion channels by mechanical forces applied to cell surface beta1 integrins. Integr Biol (Camb). 2010 Sep;2(9):435-42. Epub 2010 Aug 20.
Chancellor TJ, Lee J, Thodeti CK, Lele T. Actomyosin tension exerted on the nucleus through nesprin-1 connections influences endothelial cell adhesion, migration, and cyclic strain-induced reorientation. Biophys J. 2010 Jul 7;99(1):115-23. Erratum in: Biophys J. 2010 Aug 9;99(4):1329.
Thodeti, C.K., Matthews, B., Ravi, A., Mamotto, A., Ghosh, K., and Bracha, A., Ingber, D.E. (2009) TRPV4 channels mediate cyclic strain-induced endothelial cell reorientation through integrin to integrin signaling. Circ. Res. 104:1123-1130.
Alenghat FJ, Tytell J, Thodeti CK, Derrien A, and Ingber DE. (2009) Mechanical control of cAMP signaling through integrin-dependent activation of heterotrimeric Gαs protein in focal adhesions. J. Cell. Biochem. 106:529-38.
Ghosh, K., Thodeti, C.K., Dudley, A.C., Mammoto, A., Klagsbrun, M., and Ingber, D.E. ( 2008) Tumor-derived endothelial cells exhibit aberrant Rho-mediated mechanosensing and abnormal angiogenesis in vitro. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105: 11305-10.
Lele, T*., Thodeti, C.K*., Pendse, J., and Ingber, D.E. (2008) Investigating complexity of protein-protein interactions in focal adhesions. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 369:929-34
*Shared first author.
Xia N, Thodeti CK, Hunt TP, Xu Q, Ho M, Whitesides GM, Westervelt R, and Ingber DE. (2008) Directional control of cell motility through focal adhesion positioning and spatial control of Rac activation. FASEB J. 22: 1649-59.
Lele T, Thodeti CK, and Ingber DE. (2006) Force meets chemistry: analysis of mechanochemical conversion in focal adhesions using fluorescence recovery after photobleaching. J.Cell.Biochem. 97:1175-83. (Cover Page).
Thodeti CK, Frohlich C, Nielsen CK, Takada Y, Fassler R, Albrechtsen R, and Wewer UM. (2005) ADAM12-mediated focal adhesion formation is differently regulated by β1 and β3 integrins. FEBS Lett. 579: 5589-95.
Thodeti CK, Frohlich C, Nielsen CK, Holck P, Sundberg C, Kveiborg M, Mahalingam Y, Albrechtsen R, Couchman JR, and Wewer UM. (2005) Hierarchy of ADAM12 binding to integrins in tumor cells. Exp Cell Res. 309:438-50.
Sundberg C*, Thodeti CK*, Kvieborg M, Larsson C, Parker P, Albrechtsen R, and Wewer U,M. (2004) Regulation of ADAM12 cell-surface expression by protein kinase C epsilon. J. Biol.Chem. 279:51601-11.
*Shared first author
Thodeti CK, Albrechtsen R, Grauslund M, Asmar M, Larsson C, Takada Y, Mercurio A, Couchman JR, and Wewer U.M. (2003) ADAM12/syndecan-4 signaling promotes β1integrin-dependent cell spreading through PKCα and Rho. J. Biol.Chem. 278:9576-9584.
Kawaguchi N, Sundberg C, Kveiborg M, Moghadaszadeh B, Asmar M, Dietrich N, Thodeti CK, Nielsen FC, Moller P, Mercurio AM, Albrechtsen R, and Wewer U.M.(2003) ADAM12 induces actin cytoskeleton and extracellular matrix reorganization during early adipocyte differentiation by regulating beta1 integrin function. J.Cell Sci. 116: 3893-904.
Thodeti CK, Massoumi R, Bindslev L, and Sjolander A. (2002) Leukotriene D4 induces association of active RhoA with phospholipase C-g1 in intestinal epithelial cells. Biochem. J. 365:157-163.
Thodeti CK, and Sjölander A. (2002) Leukotriene D4-induced calcium signalling in human intestinal epithelial cells. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 507: 187-191.
Thodeti, C.K., Nielsen, C.K., Larsson, C., and Sjölander, A. (2001) The epsilon isoform of protein kinase C is involved in the regulation of the LTD4-induced calcium signal in human intestinal epithelial cells. Exp.Cell.Res. 262: 95-103.
Thodeti CK, Adolfsson J, Juhas M, and Sjölander A. (2000) Leukotriene D4 triggers an association between Gβγ subunits and phospholipase C-γ1 in intestinal epithelial cells. J.Biol.Chem. 275: 9849-9853.
Srinivasa Reddy P, Thodeti CK, Narasa Reddy M, Sarada Ch, and Reddanna P. (2000) Differential formation of octadecadienoic acid and octadecatrienoic acid products in control and injured/infected potato tubers. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1483: 294-300.
Anuradha D, Reddy KV, Thodeti CK, Neeraja S, Reddy PR, and Reddanna P. (2000) Purification and characterization of rat testicular glutathione S-transferases: role in the synthesis of eicosanoids. Asian J.Androl. 2 :277-82.
Gronroos E, Thodeti CK, and Sjolander A. (1998) Leukotriene D4 induces a rapid increase in cAMP in human epithelial cells, INT 407: A potential role for this signal in the regulation of calcium influx through the plasma membrane. Cell Calcium 24: 9-16.
Veera Reddy K, Thodeti CK, Prasad M, and Reddanna P. (1998) Pulmonary lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defenses during induced physical exercise: Role of Vitamin E and selenium. Nutrition 14: 448-451.
Thodeti CK, Veera Reddy K, Anuradha D, and Reddanna P. (1997) Enhanced production of LTB4 and free radicals in rat lung by exhaustive physical exercise. Biochem.Mol.Biol.Intl. 41: 641-646.
Ramakrishna B, Veera Reddy K, Thodeti CK, and Reddanna P. (1996) Glutathione-S transferases and carcinogenisis. Indian j. Comp.Ani.Physiol. 14: 12-20
Veera Reddy K, Anuradha D, Thodeti CK, and Reddanna P. (1995) Induction of Ya1 subunit of hepatic glutathione S-transferase in rats by exercise training. Arch.Biochem.Biophys. 323 6-10.
- Cappelli HC, Thoppil R, Adapala R, Meszaros JG, Paruchuri S, and Thodeti CK* (2015) Role of mechanosensitive TRP Channels in Abnormal Vasculature of Tumors. Ion Channels in Vascular Disease. (Eds: Levitan, Irena, Dopico, and Alejandro). Springer Publications. In Press.
- Ghosh K, Thodeti CK, and Ingber DE. (2012) Micromechanical Design Criteria for Tissue Engineering Biomaterials. Biomaterials. Sci. (Eds: Ratner, Hoffman, Schoen, and Lemons) 1165-1176.
- Thodeti CK*, and Ghosh, K. (2009) Biophysical mechanisms of cell migration and invasion in lung cancer metastasis. In: Lung Cancer Metastasis: Novel Biological Mechanisms and Impact on Clinical Practice (Eds: Arenberg D, Kalemkerian G, and Keshamouni V. (Springer Publications. 93-110.
- Matthews B, Thodeti CK, and Ingber DE. (2007) Activation of Mechanosensitive Ion Channels by Forces Transmitted through Integrins and the Cytoskeleton. Current Topics in Membranes (Ed: Hamill OP) 58: 59-85.
- A Novel TRPV4-dependent Mechanotranscription Pathway Regulates Cardiac Fibrosis Following Pressure-Overload. AHA Scientific Sessions. Orlando. Nov. 2015
- Mechanical control of cardiac fibroblast differentiation. Loyola University, Chicago. May 13, 2015
- A TRP to cardiac fibroblast differentiation. University of Kentucky, Lexington. Apr 17, 2015
- Absence of TRPV4 Channels Improves Cardiac Function and Remodeling Following Myocardial Infarction and Transverse Aortic Constriction. AHA Scientific Sessions. Chicago. Nov. 2014
- Mechanical Control of Tumor Angiogenesis. University of Hyderabad, India. July 21, 2014.
- Role of Mechanical Forces in Vascular Cell Differentiation. AHA 2012, LA held Nov. 3-7. (Invited for special session on Cardiovascular Seminar entitled "Emerging Molecular Concepts in Vascular Phenotype")
- Mechanosensitive TRPV4 channels mediate cardiac fibroblast differentiation to myofibroblasts. Experimental Biology 2012. San Diego, USA. (invited for special session Transient Receptor Potential Channels and Endothelial Calcium Regulation in Native Cells and Whole Vessels)
- TRPV4 channels regulate tumor angiogenesis through the modulation of Rhodependent tumor endothelial cell mechanosensitivity. Experimental Biology 2012. San Diego, USA. (Invited by special section on Novel Regulators of Cardiac Fibroblast Function and Fate)
- TRPV4 channels mediate mechanical control of angiogenesis. LRI, Cleveland Clinic Foundation. March 2011
- TRPV4 overexpression normalizes aberrant mechanosensitivity and abnormal angiogenesis exhibited by tumor-derived endothelial cells by modulating Rho activity. 16th International Vascular Biology Meeting, UCLA, CA. June 20-24, 2010
- TRPV4 channels mediate mechanical control of angiogenesis. Wright State University, Dayton, OH. March 4, 2010
- Mechanical control of integrin activation and endothelial cell reorientation: Implications of Angiogenesis. Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine (NEOUCOM). Rootstown, OH. Feb. 19, 2009
- TRPV4 channels mediate mechanical control of integrin activation and angiogenesis. Society for Engineering Sciences (SES-2008) Technical meeting, Oct. 12-14, Urbana-Champaign, USA.
- Mechanical Determinants of Cancer Development. MD Anderson Cancer Research Institute, Orlando, FL, June 19, 2008
- Integrin to integrin mechanical signaling is mediated by stress-activated TRPV4 channels during angiogenesis. Experimental Biology, April 5-9, 2008, San Diego, USA.
- Hierarchy of ADAM12 binding of integrins. Vascular Biology Program, Feb. 2005, Boston, USA.
- ADAM12/syndecan-4 signaling promotes beta 1 integrin-dependent cell spreading through PKC alpha and RhoA. 16th Danish Cancer Society Annual Meeting, May 2, 2003, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Increased association of G-beta/gamma subunits to phospholipase C-gamma1 in LTD4 stimulated epithelial cells. 6th International conference on Eicosanoids & Bioactive lipids in Cancer, Inflammation and Related Diseases, Sept. 12-15, 1999, Boston, USA.
- Identification of 14, 15 LTC4 as an endogenous bioactive component: Biosynthesis and role in sheep uterus. Young scientist symposium in Frontiers of Reproductive Biology. Feb. 10-11, 1995. Bombay, India.
- Dietary supplementation of vitamin E protects heart tissue from exercise-induced oxident stress. Symposium on Biological Oxidations and PUFAs. Dec. 5-7, 1990. Trivandrum, India.
- Role of hepatic antioxident defense mechanisms during exhaustive exercise. National Symposium on Comparative Animal Physiology and Reproductive Physiology. 1989. Visakhapatnam, India.
Selected Abstracts presented at Conferences
- Ravi K. Adapala, Roslin Thoppil, Holly Cappelli, Daniel J. Luther, Vahagn A. Ohanyan, Jordan Luli, Sailaja Paruchuri, William M. Chilian, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti, TRPV4 Channel Deletion Improves Cardiac Remodeling Following Myocardial Injury via Modulation of MRTF-A Pathway. EB-2015, Boston, USA
- Roslin J. Thoppil, Ravi K. Adapala, Holly C. Cappelli, Sailaja Paruchuri, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti. TRPV4 Channels Regulate Angiogenesis by Inhibiting Endothelial Cell Proliferation via ERK1/2. EB-2015, Boston, USA
- Holly C. Cappelli, Roslin J. Thoppil, Ravi K. Adapala, Sailaja Paruchuri, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti. TRPV4 channels modulate pathological angiogensis via Rho/Rho Kinase pathway. EB2015, Boston, USA
- Cappelli H., Thoppil, R.J., Adapala R.K., Paruchuri S., Meszaros J.G., and Thodeti C.K. TRPV4 channels modulate pathological angiogenesis via Rho/Rho Kinase pathway. KSU Res symposium-2015, Kent, USA
- Ravi K. Adapala, Roslin Thoppil, Holly Cappelli, Daniel J. Luther, Vahagn A. Ohanyan, Jordan Luli, Sailaja Paruchuri, William M. Chilian, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti. Absence of TRPV4 Channels Improves Cardiac Function and Remodeling Following Myocardial Infarctin and Transverse Aortic Constriction. AHA Scientific Sessions. Chicago. Nov 2014
- Thoppil RJ, Adapala RK, Ghosh KG, Cappelli HC, Dudley AC, Paruchuri S., Keshamouni V, Klagsburn M, Meszaros JG, Chilian WM, Ingber DE, Thodeti CK. TRPV4 Channel Activation Promotes Tumor Vessel Normalization and Improves Cancer Therapy. Ohio Physiological Society, 2014. Miami, Ohio
Winner: Dr. Petr Lauf Travel Award
- Holly C. Cappelli, Ravi K. Adapala, Roslin J. Thoppil, Vahagn A. Ohanyan, Jordan Luli, Daniel J. Luther, Sailaja Paruchuri, J. Gary Meszaros, William M. Chilian and Charles K. Thodeti. Absence of TRPV4 protects myocardium post myocardial injury. Ohio Physiological Society, 2014. Miami, Ohio.
- Roslin J. Thoppil, Ravi K. Adapala, Holly C. Cappelli, Kaustabh Ghosh, Andrew C. Dudley, Sailaja Paruchuri, Venkateshwar Keshamouni, Michael Klagsbrun, J. Gary Meszaros, William M. Chilian, Donald E. Ingber and Charles K. Thodeti. Activation of Mechanosensitive Ion Channel TRPV4 Channels Promote Normalization of Tumor Vasculature and Improves Cancer Therapy. Experimental Biology, 2014, San Diego, USA.
APS Student Travel Award Winner
- Holly C. Cappelli, Ravi K. Adapala, Roslin Thoppil, Vahagn A. Ohanyan, Jordan Luli, Daniel J. Luther, Sailaja Paruchuri, J. Gary Meszaros, William M. Chilian and Charles K. Thodeti. TRPV4 Deficiency Protects the Myocardium Following Myocardial Infarction and Transverse Aortic Constriction. Experimental Biology, 2014. San Diego, USA.
- Farai Gombedza, Stephanie Koppes, Ernest Duah, Ravi K. Adapala, Vinay Kondeti, Nosayba Al-Assam, Charles K. Thodeti and Sailaja Paruchuri. PGE2 Inhibits Pulminary Fibroblast Differentiation Via Modulation of a Mechanosensitive Ion Channel, TRV4. 15th International Winter Eicosanoid Conference, March 9-12, 2014, Baltimore, USA.
Travel Award Winner
- Vinay Kondeti, Nosayba Al-Azzam, Ernest Duah, Farai Gombedza, Charles K. Thodeti and Sailaja Paruchuri. Novel Cross Talk Between Cysteinyl Leukotrienes and prostaglandin E2 Leading to Exaggerated Mast Cell Inflammatory Responses. 15th International Winter Eicosanoid Conference, March 9-12, 2014, Baltimore, USA.
- Nosayba Al-Azzam, Vinay Kondeti, Ernest Duah, Farai Gombedza, Charles K. Thodeti and Sailaja Paruchuri. Modulation of Mast Cell Proliferative and Inflammatory Responses by Leukotriene D4 and Stem Cell Factor Interactions. 15th International Winter Eicosanoid Conference, March 9-12, 2014, Baltimore, USA.
- Ernest Duah, Ravi K. Adapala, Vinay Kondeti, Nosayba Al-Azzam, Farai Gombedza, Charles K. Thodeti and Sailaja Paruchuri. Role of LTD4 in Macrophage Foam Cell Formation Leading to Atherosclerosis. 15th International Winter Eicosanoid Conference, March 9-12, 2014, Baltimore, USA.
- Ravi K. Adapala, Dan Luther, Vahagn Ohanyan, Jordan Luli, Roslin Thoppil, Holly Cappelli, Sailaja Paruchuri, William M. Chilian, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti. Absence of TRPV4 Channels Improves Cardiac Function and Remodeling Following Myocardial Infarction and Transverse Aortic Constriction. AHA Scientific Sessions, Nov. 2013. Dallas, USA.
- Ravi K. Adapala, Dan Luther, Vahagn Ohanyan, Jordan Luli, Roslin Thoppil, Sailaja Paruchuri, William M. Chilian, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti. Absence of TRPV4 Channels Improve Cardiac Function During Cardiac Remodeling. Experimental Biology, 2013. Boston, USA.
- Roslin Thoppil, Ravi K. Adapala, Steve Cotman, Sailaja Paruchuri, William M. Chilian, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti. Activation of TRPV4 Channels Inhibit Tumor Endothelial Cell Proliferation and Migration through ERK1/2 Dependent Pathways. Experimental Biology, 2013. Boston, USA.
- Charles K. Thodeti. TRPV4 Channels Regulate Tumor Angiogenesis Through The Modulation of Rho-dependent Tumor Endothelial Cell Mechanosensitivity. Experimental Biology, 2012. San Diego, USA.
- Charles K. Thodeti. Mechanosensitive TRPV4 Channels Mediate Cardiac Fibroblast Differentiation to Myofibroblasts. Experimental Biology, 2012. San Diego, USA.
- Ravi K. Adapala, Dan Luther, Roslin Thoppil, J. Gary Meszaros, William M. Chilian and Charles K. Thodeti. Mechanosensitive TRPV4 Channels Mediate Cardiac Myofibroblast Differentiation. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Nov. 2011. Orlando, USA.
- Steve Cotman, Ravi K. Adapala, Roslin Thoppil and Charles K. Thodeti. TRPV4 Channel Activation Inhibits Tumor Endothelial Cell Migration. NEOMED Poster Day. August 31, 2011.
- Ravi K. Adapala, Phani K. Thalasila, Ian N. Bratz, J. Gary Meszaros and Charles K. Thodeti. Protein Kinase C Alpha Mediates Acetylcholine-induced TRPV4 Activation in Mircrovascular Endothelial Cells. Experimental Biology, 2011. Washington DC, USA.
- Phani K. Talasila, Ravi K. Adapala, Charles K. Thodeti and Ian N. Bratz. Role of Arterial TRPV4 Channels in Adrenergic Signaling. Experimental Biology, 2011. Washington DC, USA.
- Thomas J. Jones, Ravi K. Adapala, Chris Bursley, Surya M. Nauli and Charles K. Thodeti. Primary Cilia Regulates Endothelial Cell Directional Migration Through HSP-27 Dependent Modulation of Actin Cytoskeleton and Focal Adhesions. Experimental Biology, 2011. Washington DC, USA.
- Rebecca M. Haney, Rene H. Cuadra, Ronaldo Chavez, Ravi K. Adapala, Charles K. Thodeti and Priya Raman. Upregulation of Thrombospondin-1 Expression by Leptin in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells: Role of PKC, JAK2 and MAPK Signaling Pathways. Experimental Biology, 2011. Washington DC, USA.
- Ravi K. Adapala and Charles K. Thodeti. Protein Kinase C Alpha Mediates Acetylcholine-induced TRPV4 Activation in Microvascular Endothelial Cells. Ohio Physiological Society Annual Meeting, 2010. Cleveland, OH.
- Jolanta Marszalek, Alamgir Karim, Alexei G. Basnakia, Charles K. Thodeti, Ravi K. Adapala and Carl Simon. 2.5D Constructs for Surface Evaluation of 3D Scaffolds in Tissue Engineering. Ohio Physiological Society Annual Meeting, 2010. Cleveland, OH.
- Stretch Activated Calcium Channels Mediate Cyclic Strain-induced Endothelial Cell Orientation by Controlling Activation of Beta 1 Integrin and RhoA. Late breaking Abstract, Experimental Biology, April 28-May 2, 2007. Washington DC, USA
- Syndecan-4 Regulates ADAM 12 Mediated Cell Spreading Through PKC Alpha and Actin Stress Fiber Organization Through Both PKC Alpha and Rho. Gordon Research Conference: Signaling by Adhesion Receptors, July 14-19, 2002. Connecticut College, USA.
- ADAM 12-induced Syndecan-B1 Integrin Mediated Cell Spreading is Regulated by Protein Kinase Ca, PI-3 Kinase and Rac. 53rd Harden Conference on Proteoglycans, Aug. 16-21, 2001. Ambleside, UK.
- A Novel Role for the G-Protein By Subunits in Leukotriene D4-induced Calcium signalling in Human Intestinal Epithelial Cells. ASBMB' 98. May 16-20, 1998. Washington DC, USA.
- Expression of Cyclooxygenase-2 in Human epithelial Cells is Increased by LTD4. ASBMB' 98. May 16-20, 1998. Washington DC, USA.
- Member of University Council
- Vice Chair-Radiation Safety Committee
- Certifying Official for Schedule II-V controlled substances
- Faculty-in-charge for the confocal microscope facility
- BS/MD Admissions Committee
- Liebelt/Wheeler Award Committee
- Interviewer for BS/MD admissions
- Abstract grader for American Heart Association (AHA)
- Member of two American Heart Association (AHA) study sections
- Grant reviewer for State of Oklahoma (OCAST), Louisiana Board of Regents
- Grant reviewer for international grants: Yorkshire Cancer Research, UK and World Wide Cancer Research Organization, UK
- Reviewer for journals, including Circulation Research, ATVB, JMCC, AJP
- Editorial board member of Circulation Research and J Cancer Science and Therapy
Teaching/Mentoring - Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
- Physiological Basis of Medicine (2011-2016)-Instructor
- Capstone Course: Current trends in Biomedical and Clinical Research (2014-2016) - Co-Course Director
- BMS - Cell Signaling (2011, 2013, 2015) - Co-Course Director
- BMS - Microcirculation (2014) - Co-Course Director
- Evidence Based Medicine I & II (2012-2016) - Small Group Leader
- MD - Prologue - Small Group Leader
- KSU - Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease (2013, 2015, 2016) - Instructor
Mentoring Graduate/Ph.D. Students (Primary Advisor):
- Roslin Thoppil (graduated May 2015)
- Holly Cappelli
- Ravi Adapala
Mentoring Graduate/Ph.D. Thesis Committee:
- Dan Luther
- Rituparna Ganguly
- Sayantani Sinha
- John Kmetz (MA)
- Soumyadip Sahu
- Daniel Wehrung
- Pritam Sinha Roy
- Lola Di Vincenzo
Mentoring Summer Research Fellows:
- Vibhatsu Amin (M1)
- Priya Sharma (M1)
- Connie Gran (SURF student)
- Rahul Damania (M1-M2)
- Rosemary (M1-M2)
- Steve Cotman (M1-M2)
- Manasa Mullapudi (M1-M2)
- Julia Ng (M1-M2)
- Supriya Shah (M1-M2)
- Rebekah Fox (Central State)
- Ethan Hunt (UG)
Mentoring at Other Universities:
Harvard Medical School: Supervision of graduate and post docs in the lab.
University of Copenhagen, Denmark: Supervision of graduate and post docs in the lab.
Lund University, Sweden: Supervision of graduate and post docs in the lab. Laboratory course in GPCR & Calcium Signaling
S.V. University, India: Laboratory course in Biochemistry and Physiology.